Strumble 2

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

When in Braunston, you are welcome to wander over to the wet dock. There, I am lucky to having my new boat fitted out.

The shell is one of the last builds by Barry Hawkins.

When I bought it, it had had a 1952 Lister fitted from RW Davies and a boatman's cabin part built and some other parts barely started.

Well, there were many problems with what had been done.

So,

Tony Redshaw has sorted out the engine.

Bob Mitchell has torn out all that was wrong within and is creating something new and beautiful. Do catch a word with Bob - he is brilliant, but do not stop him working!

Dave Bishop painted much of the boat; the back panels were then sorted by Peter Hyde and the signwriting has just been gloriously applied by Becky Roberts.

Completion is due for mid-July.

And so at last I am allowing myself some gentle anticipatory excitement.

I hope you like what you find.

Hi Geoffrey it has taken a while. I am now heading back from London and you will be pleased to know I am not coming down the Braunston Flight decided to turn right and go Leicester way. Should be at Foxton in July if you fancy a beer. Good luck with the boat sounds like maybe you will be out when I return.

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Many thanks for your friendly reply.

I look forward to meeting you on the water.

Geoffrey

I visited a very damp Braunston today to measure futher Strumble 2 progress - and was delighted.

The woodwork in the main cabin is almost completed.

The area around the engine has been cleared so that it - the engine - may be painted.

The day tank is ready to go to Tony Redshaw to have a gauge fitted.

July 20th looks possible!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoffrey,

I did wander over to the wet dock last Saturday during the Braunston Historic Boat Show and was delighted to view your boat. I took some photos and also spoke to Bob.

You must be very pleased with the quality of the fit out and the paint job - I was.

I too have a JP3 but mine is a marinised version of the stationary engine, aged 67 years. I am curious to know more about your thermostat housing. Is this a Redshaw solution?

Also, where did Bob source the tongue and groove ceiling?

Thanks,

RAP

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Geoffrey,

Did you ask about my two queries regarding the engine thermostat housing and the tongue and groove?

Thanks,

RAP

RAP,

Many apologies for delayed reply.

I'm still not quite sure that I understand the thermostat question - but that is my lack of knowledge.

The oak T & G comes from Brooks Bros, Nottingham.

Geoffrey