Overnight stop in Birmingham

Sheepshank

Featured Posts

Hi. I hope there are boaters familiar with the Birmingham canals who can give me a bit of help. I'm planning a trip for next month that includes travelling from Fazeley Junction through Birmingham to Wolverhampton. I'm currently thinking of an overnight stop at Curdworth then a long day's travel to Deep Cuttings and a mooring near the NIA where we've stopped previously. If there's a lot of traffic and we don't get that far, can anyone recommend any safe places to overnight between the Aston Locks and the Farmers Bridge locks, or maybe at the bottom of the Aston locks? Also, in the Nicholson Guide, it says the lock keeper at Farmers Bridge is on duty Mon-Thurs 07.30 - 17.00 and Fri 07.00 - 16.30, are the locks open outside these hours or do they get padlocked when the keeper is off duty? Are the Farmer's Bridge and Aston locks in reasonable nick and how busy are the likely to be?

So many questions, my head hurts.....

Hi. I hope there are boaters familiar with the Birmingham canals who can give me a bit of help. I'm planning a trip for next month that includes travelling from Fazeley Junction through Birmingham to Wolverhampton. I'm currently thinking of an overnight stop at Curdworth then a long day's travel to Deep Cuttings and a mooring near the NIA where we've stopped previously. If there's a lot of traffic and we don't get that far, can anyone recommend any safe places to overnight between the Aston Locks and the Farmers Bridge locks, or maybe at the bottom of the Aston locks? Also, in the Nicholson Guide, it says the lock keeper at Farmers Bridge is on duty Mon-Thurs 07.30 - 17.00 and Fri 07.00 - 16.30, are the locks open outside these hours or do they get padlocked when the keeper is off duty? Are the Farmer's Bridge and Aston locks in reasonable nick and how busy are the likely to be?

So many questions, my head hurts.....

Have never seen a lock kepper on Farmers Bridge or have ever seen them padlocked.

Farmers Bridge locks were fine on Saturday as were Garrison & Ashtead Locks.

Can't say that I saw any desirable moorings between Aston & FB locks, have moored outside Star City without problems before.

Tim

With respect to the OP can I extend the enquiry to include moorings Minworth and Cudworth as SWMBO has a family link with the area and would like to explore it in a bit more detail.

I seem to recall a post on here some while ago that suggested that these were not ideal places to leave the boat unattended.

Thanks

Hi. I hope there are boaters familiar with the Birmingham canals who can give me a bit of help. I'm planning a trip for next month that includes travelling from Fazeley Junction through Birmingham to Wolverhampton. I'm currently thinking of an overnight stop at Curdworth then a long day's travel to Deep Cuttings and a mooring near the NIA where we've stopped previously.

You should be fine - the rowdy rabble from here who have just finished the BCN challenge will be long gone - calm will be restored...

With respect to the OP can I extend the enquiry to include moorings Minworth and Cudworth as SWMBO has a family link with the area and would like to explore it in a bit more detail.

I seem to recall a post on here some while ago that suggested that these were not ideal places to leave the boat unattended.

Thanks

We moored there loads of times as family live in minworth by the bridge, never had a problem,not sure about leaving the boat on its own though.Theres not much to explore there except the sewer works and a bit futher on Asda.Curdworth is a few minutes walk from the canal and even less for minworth.If you mean unattended while you go for a walk round it should be ok.

Edited by romarni123

I'm planning a trip for next month that includes travelling from Fazeley Junction through Birmingham to Wolverhampton.

Bottom of Aston at Cuckoo Wharf is safe/convenient, top of Aston on the offside along the side of the science park (turn left, but back up to turn for Farmers Bridge, or turn right, then back up!). Locks weren't closed at night the last time I went that way (2005).

As to busy, don't worry, you'll often get locks set for you, but they're an easy flight to lockwheel (all single gates). You can set two or three ahead if it's not too busy.

If you have two crew out with windlasses, set out at 8 or 9am and you don't stop for lunch, you can make the Black Country Museum/top of Factory Locks well before dark sets in. The locks are normally well maintained. The only downside to Aston and FB is getting behind a slowcoach (but I'm sure they'd appreciate help if you have enough crew!) ;)

HTH

Well, it's been a few years since I was up that way, but I'll have a go & be corrected by others.

Curdworth --- good place to stop, don't go as far as Minworth or the smell from the sewage works will get you.

Curdworth to B'ham center should be doable but I believe that there are secure moorings at Cuckoo Wharf & I have moored at the top of Aston locks by the university.

I've not heard of 'Deep Cuttings'.

The Farmers Bridge flight are easy locks & close together & Iv'e never seen a lock keeper, but the locks are open 24/7 AFAIK.

Good luck.

Many thanks.

Would only plan to leave the boat for an hour or so whilst we explore the area.

I cant see a problem doing that,at curdworth there is usually boats moored on the visitor mooring and its easier to get to curdworth from there.