Tall Ships

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

As the title states, this is just for interest.

Hi to all that may be interested.

We have just left our grandson (14 years of age) on board one of the catamarans of the Tall Ships fleet at Gosport. He will be away for a week and is just going west down the channel, hopefully as far as Brixham and back again.

There are four youngsters (can take 8 I believe) on board and two skipper qualified crew.

The whole experience will be tremendous for him, he is dead set on joining the RN as soon as he can to follow in my footsteps so to speak. thats if we have any ships left then, I was certainly envious wanting to remain on board. He says with confidence he won't get seasick!!! we'll see. they are not sailing today as the wind is a bit vicious down here and the water a bit lumpy.

I diverse. The week is free as he is in the Sea Cadets and they are sponsoring him in this instance. What a smashing opportunity.

It seems that Tall Ships are a charity, where do they get their finance from?

Lucky chap. Thats all.

Martyn eta. Didn't realise age of Grandson.

Edited by Nightwatch

Bet your very proud of him.

We have a couple of tall ships in Liverpool atm and at least one is raising funds by offering short day cruisers for a charge.

Would have booked on one if I had the funds before they got booked up

They tend to get funds by offering berths to full fare paying adults, which then subsidises bursaries and sponsors deserving youths whose parents cannot afford it.

They used to have two ships like Stavros Niarchos, but sold one to buy the cats.

The Greek shipping magnate Niarchos put some of the money up for the ship that bears his name.

The crew are professionals provided by a professional big ship manning agency.

They tend to get funds by offering berths to full fare paying adults, which then subsidises bursaries and sponsors deserving youths whose parents cannot afford it.

They used to have two ships like Stavros Niarchos, but sold one to buy the cats.

The Greek shipping magnate Niarchos put some of the money up for the ship that bears his name.

The crew are professionals provided by a professional big ship manning agency.

Interesting. Now I know how my desendant has benefited from this I will see if a meagre donation from me can help future beneficiaries.

Martyn.