Avon Ring - which way round?

keble

Featured Posts

Hi, we're planning to do the Avon Ring in June, starting out from (and returning to) Saul via Gloucester.

I'm on the tiller and SWMBO is crew/lock person, and we're both slightly less agile than we used to be :rolleyes:

So the question arises - is it better to go anti-clockwise and therefore descend the almighty Tardebigge flight, or would it be better going clockwise and be able to brag about it ad nauseam, or does it make no difference at all?

Opinions please!

Rob

Hi, we're planning to do the Avon Ring in June, starting out from (and returning to) Saul via Gloucester.

I'm on the tiller and SWMBO is crew/lock person, and we're both slightly less agile than we used to be :rolleyes:

So the question arises - is it better to go anti-clockwise and therefore descend the almighty Tardebigge flight, or would it be better going clockwise and be able to brag about it ad nauseam, or does it make no difference at all?

Opinions please!

Rob

Down the Avon

Avon has lots of wide locks, but there are none on that stretch of the severn and all the other canals have narrow locks. So all other things being equal I'd choose to lock down the avon.

I'll be interested to see the concensus on this one as we are doing the same trip in June but starting from Worcester. I'd planned to go up the Avon because I understand if there is a current running some of the bridges can be "interesting". Did Tardebigge a couple of weeks ago and are no longer phased by its might.

Down the Avon is certainly easier than up.

1. You are going with the flow, so faster,

2. The locks are much more gentle going down, particularly with just 2 of you. see here.

On the other hand, with just 2 at least in my mind, going down Tardibigge is easier than up.

So six of one etc.......

If I was starting from Worcester I would go down the Severn first (which means anti-clockwise). But coming from Saul you are already on the Severn so direction really doesn't matter. Of course you could, if you want bragging rights go up to Worcester and do the ring to Tewkesbury clockwise then turn round and do it anticlockwise back to Worcester. When we were young we did something similar - it is completely different going the other way.

Edited by Tiny