River Trent + Beeston and Notts Canal

Featured Posts

I'm a bit late posting this but in October 2010 we had a very pleasant first overnight cruise on Smokey Joe. My brother in law is an amateur film buff and his (short) effort can be viewed here My link

The video is not in total synch with the trip, Pete, my bro in law used his considerable editing skills to show a story not just a trip report. Spot the family helping my sister at Castle lock. They were friendly and very keen to help. Everyone we met on this trip was happy, smiling and friendly. It was a great start to my boating!

Although not too warm, we had a gloriously sunny two days and the run down the Trent was fantastic. We left the boat in central Nottingham whilst we went for a walk around. We then winded and moored overnight with a long line of boats near Sainsburys. We got back to the boat to find two scroates hanging round with fishing rods and pretending they had a legitimate reason to be there. They moved off when they saw us getting on the boat. The boat was new to me and I hadn't realised the batteries had died whilst it was on brokerage. Our neighbours were very understanding when they came back from the beer festival at 11.30pm and suggested we run the engine for 30 or so mins. Luckily they'd had a good time at the beer festival and wouldn't be disturbed by the engine running!

On the way back, we stopped for a pint or two at the pub by Beeston locks and the River Trent then enjoyed another great run up the Trent to Sawley.

A very nice weekend run and first overnight trip!

Edited by jeddlad

I'm a bit late posting this but in October 2010 we had a very pleasant first overnight cruise on Smokey Joe. My brother in law is an amateur film buff and his (short) effort can be viewed here My link

Although not too warm, we had a gloriously sunny two days and the run down the Trent was fantastic. We left the boat in central Nottingham whilst we went for a walk around. We then winded and moored overnight with a long line of boats near Sainsburys. We got back to the boat to find two scroates hanging round with fishing rods and pretending they had a legitimate reason to be there. They moved off when they saw us getting on the boat. The boat was new to me and I hadn't realised the batteries had died whilst it was on brokerage. Our neighbours were very understanding when they came back from the beer festival at 11.30pm and suggested we run the engine for 30 or so mins. Luckily they'd had a good time at the beer festival and wouldn't be disturbed by the engine running!

On the way back, we stopped for a pint or two at the pub by Beeston locks and the River Trent then enjoyed another great run up the Trent to Sawley.

A very nice weekend run and first overnight trip!

It's a great trip we did it not that long ago.

We moored outside Sainsbury's out and back (2 nights) and although we half expected some aggro because of where it was we got no truck what so ever and found it felt very safe in the end. There was a number of boats moored there too when we where there so I suspect any 'truck' one might get is a pretty rare event.

• 2 months later...

We were out on this section this weekend, found it enjoyable as ever, although a group of young lads insisted on fishing in the lock and didnt even move thier legs or rods when we entered and sailed to the wall to rope up! Didnt get any grief though and didnt bother saying anything either just acted as though they werent there. They did say goodbye at the end, as we went and two more came in :blink: hey ho !

• 2 weeks later...

The mooring outside Sainsburys and the canal is probably the best in Nottingham. When we were up that way at Easter we decided to leave NC on the river moorings which were not very welcoming at all. In the hunt for a supermarket (beer reserves were at dangerous levels)we ended up walking to the Sainsbury's anyway so it would have been quicker for us to take off the canopies and drop the arch to get through the bridges :rolleyes:

We have had a good couple of nights moored there with no problems on either.The local boat commumity in the area are also interesting to talk to if you get the chance. They are very friendly (despite appearances) and we had a good few drinks with them.

The trouble we had was that it looked like an alien had landed when NC moored there (not the ususal boat expected on the canal) so every passer by had a question to ask. It got quite tiresome in the end :)

The mooring outside Sainsburys and the canal is probably the best in Nottingham. When we were up that way at Easter we decided to leave NC on the river moorings which were not very welcoming at all. In the hunt for a supermarket (beer reserves were at dangerous levels)we ended up walking to the Sainsbury's anyway so it would have been quicker for us to take off the canopies and drop the arch to get through the bridges :rolleyes:

We have had a good couple of nights moored there with no problems on either.The local boat commumity in the area are also interesting to talk to if you get the chance. They are very friendly (despite appearances) and we had a good few drinks with them.

The trouble we had was that it looked like an alien had landed when NC moored there (not the ususal boat expected on the canal) so every passer by had a question to ask. It got quite tiresome in the end :)

Shouldn't have such a lovely and distinctive boat!