Thames Ring - dunnit!

Dekazer

Featured Posts

Hallo all,

Last night at about 7pm we completed the Thames Ring - w00t. Rather amibitiously we set a goal of getting round in 17 days and, happily, we achieved it without having to push ourselves too hard.

I wanted to post something here for a couple of reasons, but mostly to thank everyone who gave us really good advice on the Thames portion of the trip. It was the only bit that made us nervous but we LOVED every second of it, and felt much better for being well prepared, so thanks again.

We passed Brentford Thames Lock alone at 6.30am with a cheery wave from Simon the lockie - gawd bless 'im for getting up early for us bang on time. The river was completely deserted and once we'd got used to the SIZE of it we relaxed a lot. I must say, it was nice to do it with no one else around :) At Teddington we learned how to lock through manned Thames locks, and bought our licence. We moored at Kingston for breakfast and some last minute shopping - there was plenty of space at Barge Walk. The afternoon took us to Hampton Court - lovely to meet alan_fincher and Cath for a cream tea!

From Hampton Court we made good progress up the Thames. Highlights included finding our favourite non-local Local (the Grenfell Arms in Maidenhead - I really do recommend it for its very friendly welcome), the old course of the river at Shepperton (as opposed to the newer cut) and cruising the Henley Regatta course while I booked our Olympics tickets (including the rowing, of course). I loved Chertsey where the river meanders and the tupperwares come out to play and promenade. We felt like such interlopers, it was great! Mooring at Cock Marsh in Cookham was beautiful, and little Laleham was so fragrant. Pangbourne served up an awesome, if expensive breakfast in Lou La Belle's. Abingdon answered with a most excellent curry at the Prince of India in Ock Street.

We loved the Duke's cut up to the Oxford canal, once we'd reassured ourselves that we hadn't taken a wrong turning up a tiny stream that would dwindle to nothing before our eyes. Our first narrow lock was brilliant - they're so quick! Why they change from single gates to mitred gates above Banbury I don't know, but at the southern end they're wonderful. Thrupp charmed and fed us, and Maffi was kindly demonstrating his reversing technique :D (Sorry I got your dog's gender wrong!) I didn't like Aynho (which has a phantom Post Office on maps, but not in actuality), but the breakfast at the hire base was fabulous, and the service was great. The phantom Post Office problem hanuted us through Blisworth and Stoke Bruerne too - I don't mind paper maps being out of date but we're lazily reliant on our phones too, and that seems more frustrating somehow.

The Oxford canal is so different to our big hulking GU. The summit was blustery to say the least, but the little Napton flight won us over - and how brilliant is the Folly?! We were a bit disappointed that our timetable (self- and work-imposed) didn't allow us to linger there a few days. We passed a couple of other CWDF members' boats and waved, even if they weren't in sight :) )

Braunston had its colours on show for us, and we were proud to bring the standard down a little bit when we moored up. The Braunston tunnel's a fine aperatif for the Blisser, but that's where our hearts lie, always a pleasure - this time we didn't pass a single boat though. The Indian restaurant at Stoke opened an hour late and lost our custom, which was a shame but we didn't want to tarry too long :( The flight was crappy - the locks there are particular stiff, some numpty had left a paddle open and the water levels were b0rked, and we were tired. Dinner at the Wharf in Bugbrooke was awesome though - as good as when we last passed by 2 years ago. Saw a better side of Milton Keynes this time, and loved the charity shops in Leighton Buzzard! The Marsworth flight in midday sunshine was taxing, and I very much enjoyed my bath as we cruised the Tring summit. Berko was as posh and full as ever, so we retreated down to Sewer lock to seek camoflage in amongst the local CCers. We were treated to a heron catching a fish from the cill in a lock behind us. Quick refuel and a gossip with Diesel Pete. Cassiobury park is gorgeous but has no TV reception, so we were glad to escape out for a curry when we FINALLY found a restaurant - another iPhone fail. And then home, via Anni's at Batchworth for a sausage butty.

What a trip! It was lovely to meet some forum members, wave at others and (apologies) fail to recognise yet more. I'd happily re-do the trip over months - maybe one day when work allows. I heartily recommend it to everyone!

Lucy :)

Hallo all,

Last night at about 7pm we completed the Thames Ring - w00t. Rather amibitiously we set a goal of getting round in 17 days and, happily, we achieved it without having to push ourselves too hard.

I wanted to post something here for a couple of reasons, but mostly to thank everyone who gave us really good advice on the Thames portion of the trip. It was the only bit that made us nervous but we LOVED every second of it, and felt much better for being well prepared, so thanks again.

We passed Brentford Thames Lock alone at 6.30am with a cheery wave from Simon the lockie - gawd bless 'im for getting up early for us bang on time. The river was completely deserted and once we'd got used to the SIZE of it we relaxed a lot. I must say, it was nice to do it with no one else around :) At Teddington we learned how to lock through manned Thames locks, and bought our licence. We moored at Kingston for breakfast and some last minute shopping - there was plenty of space at Barge Walk. The afternoon took us to Hampton Court - lovely to meet alan_fincher and Cath for a cream tea!

From Hampton Court we made good progress up the Thames. Highlights included finding our favourite non-local Local (the Grenfell Arms in Maidenhead - I really do recommend it for its very friendly welcome), the old course of the river at Shepperton (as opposed to the newer cut) and cruising the Henley Regatta course while I booked our Olympics tickets (including the rowing, of course). I loved Chertsey where the river meanders and the tupperwares come out to play and promenade. We felt like such interlopers, it was great! Mooring at Cock Marsh in Cookham was beautiful, and little Laleham was so fragrant. Pangbourne served up an awesome, if expensive breakfast in Lou La Belle's. Abingdon answered with a most excellent curry at the Prince of India in Ock Street.

We loved the Duke's cut up to the Oxford canal, once we'd reassured ourselves that we hadn't taken a wrong turning up a tiny stream that would dwindle to nothing before our eyes. Our first narrow lock was brilliant - they're so quick! Why they change from single gates to mitred gates above Banbury I don't know, but at the southern end they're wonderful. Thrupp charmed and fed us, and Maffi was kindly demonstrating his reversing technique :D (Sorry I got your dog's gender wrong!) I didn't like Aynho (which has a phantom Post Office on maps, but not in actuality), but the breakfast at the hire base was fabulous, and the service was great. The phantom Post Office problem hanuted us through Blisworth and Stoke Bruerne too - I don't mind paper maps being out of date but we're lazily reliant on our phones too, and that seems more frustrating somehow.

The Oxford canal is so different to our big hulking GU. The summit was blustery to say the least, but the little Napton flight won us over - and how brilliant is the Folly?! We were a bit disappointed that our timetable (self- and work-imposed) didn't allow us to linger there a few days. We passed a couple of other CWDF members' boats and waved, even if they weren't in sight :) )

Braunston had its colours on show for us, and we were proud to bring the standard down a little bit when we moored up. The Braunston tunnel's a fine aperatif for the Blisser, but that's where our hearts lie, always a pleasure - this time we didn't pass a single boat though. The Indian restaurant at Stoke opened an hour late and lost our custom, which was a shame but we didn't want to tarry too long :( The flight was crappy - the locks there are particular stiff, some numpty had left a paddle open and the water levels were b0rked, and we were tired. Dinner at the Wharf in Bugbrooke was awesome though - as good as when we last passed by 2 years ago. Saw a better side of Milton Keynes this time, and loved the charity shops in Leighton Buzzard! The Marsworth flight in midday sunshine was taxing, and I very much enjoyed my bath as we cruised the Tring summit. Berko was as posh and full as ever, so we retreated down to Sewer lock to seek camoflage in amongst the local CCers. We were treated to a heron catching a fish from the cill in a lock behind us. Quick refuel and a gossip with Diesel Pete. Cassiobury park is gorgeous but has no TV reception, so we were glad to escape out for a curry when we FINALLY found a restaurant - another iPhone fail. And then home, via Anni's at Batchworth for a sausage butty.

What a trip! It was lovely to meet some forum members, wave at others and (apologies) fail to recognise yet more. I'd happily re-do the trip over months - maybe one day when work allows. I heartily recommend it to everyone!

Lucy :)

Sounds like you had a fab time - well done! I cant wait to do the same trip, but intend to go the other way around. I have made a note of some of your restaurants!

Jo.

Yes, great to meet you at Hampton Court, Lucy, and (albeit briefly) the other day up around Seabrook Locks.

I must have misunderstood, as I thought you were only going down to Ricky ? Do you still plan to attend the festival ?

In our repeated view, the Whilton / Buckby locks, with their greater depth, and "blow open" bottom gates are far more tiring than any of Braunston / Stoke / Marsworth, all of which we rather enjoy. Hanwell is still on the "jury undecided" list!

We have both times done the ring the other way, assuming that we will move faster downstream on the Thames than upstream. As you know we added Lechlade and back to this year's circuit, and the indication for the Upper Thames was that the river took about 0.5 mph off our speed going "up", and added about 0.5 mph coming down. Not massive, but the difference between 4mph average and 5mph average stacks up over a full day, in terms of total miles you can cover.

I had a much more positive feel about the Thames this time than last time we did it, and now see it as a very interesting variation from canal work. We were seldom "beaten" by the "plastic", either - didn't usually matter how fast they took off from one lock, or how much smoke we got covered in, the "lockies" usually forced them to wait at the next. (And you can smell the fear as the nasty black thing starts to pull up behind all that shineyness!).

That ring is a great mix of broad canal, narrow canal, and river, (at least a little of it tidal - more if you wish!). Still prefer Thames above Oxford to that below it, on balance I think.

[quote We were seldom "beaten" by the "plastic", either - didn't usually matter how fast they took off from one lock, or how much smoke we got covered in, the "lockies" usually forced them to wait at the next. (And you can smell the fear as the nasty black thing starts to pull up behind all that shineyness!).

This reminded me of our trip before Easter. We were coming downstream with several plastic boats and each time the lockie made them wait for us. In the end, one exasperated skipper asked if we were going through the next lock. We weren't, so they got away in the end. But I was amused that they had to wait each time. We didn't go slowly on purpose of anything, but neither was I going to thrash my way down to avoid keeping them waiting. It was, after all, the lock-keepers decision to wait.

Jo.

Brilliant...did the same as you in August last year and going back again end of June this year..only this time I've got 3 weeks and doing Limehouse...cant wait..!!!

Sounds great glad you had a good time. We are going to do it in August but we have allowed four weeks as we want to do some of the London waterways as well.

Ken

I'd love to do it again slower - we saw so many lovely places we would have liked to spend a couple of days exploring. Hope you have an ace trip!

Brilliant...did the same as you in August last year and going back again end of June this year..only this time I've got 3 weeks and doing Limehouse...cant wait..!!!

Awesome! I'd love to do Limehouse one day. Am even tempted to go and do a radio course so we can do it whenever we fancy. It would be a great long weekend trip for us to do the London ring. Have a great time :)