Compact condensing washer/dryer

Featured Posts

Any body got one on their boat??

We have a Zanussi compact washer in the rear cabin and a White Knight dryer in the front cratch/cockpit.

We are considering losing the dryer both to free up the space and to bring it home to replace the ailing one at home.

Our washer at home is also intermittently playing up so the compact washer from the boat could come home too to replace that.

So to replace both at home (which it's looking like we are going to have to do anyway) we could use the ones on the boat and replace the ones on the boat with a combined appliance. The dryer bit would need to be condensing to avoid the need for venting and it would need to be compact to fit the existing space.

I'm pretty sure our inverter can cope (Mastervolt combi 4000) as it copes with our washer now which is never run at the same time as the dryer) a washer dryer will run sequentially.

So... if you have one - comments ref models and reliability welcome.

I've been looking for one as well, but couldn't find one. A full size washer/dryer isn't that much bigger so I'm fitting one of those...

I have a condensor dryer in the daughters house they seem to take ages compared to a normal dryer.

I've been looking for one as well, but couldn't find one. A full size washer/dryer isn't that much bigger so I'm fitting one of those...

Where our washer is though it will require some pretty substantial alterations to get a full size one in...

showboat+interior+stern+b+head.JPG

Cheers -

It seems as I'm reading more about these appliances that they all generally are condensing and require no separate venting.

So the trick will be to find one that will fit the space

BUT - I am a bit concerned though about some of the reviews of these types of products, particularly the issue about load size. It looks like often the dryer load max is less than the wash load max. meaning if you use the max. wash load you have to remove some of the load before it goes into the drying cycle.

I rather thought it would be poss just to let it go right through if needed.

Mmmm more thinking to do.

Oh and Romarni123 I will definitely not be messing the back cabin about to get one in, I'd rather leave things as they are than do that.

BUT - I am a bit concerned though about some of the reviews of these types of products, particularly the issue about load size. It looks like often the dryer load max is less than the wash load max. meaning if you use the max. wash load you have to remove some of the load before it goes into the drying cycle.

That's the same with the full size washer/dryers as well.

That's the same with the full size washer/dryers as well.

Yes I see that - I suppose thinking about it it's just a case of treating them as two separate appliances although it is integrated. The dryer cycle would only be used when it had to be anyway so it might not be the hardship I first thought it to be.

Don't forget that condenser dryers use water as part of the drying process...this might be an issue if you are particularly concerned about water usage on board

ah now I didn't know that - cheers - it wouldn't be a particular concern but worth knowing.

I think i would buy a new one for the house and leave the lovely woodwork in place

It does look nice woodwork, although me personally would have hidden the washer behind a nice wooden door as well.

Don't forget that condenser dryers use water as part of the drying process...this might be an issue if you are particularly concerned about water usage on board

Do they??? mine is under the stairs in the house and there is defo no water supply to it. :P

It does look nice woodwork, although me personally would have hidden the washer behind a nice wooden door as well.

Funny you should say that I was thinking of adding a flap fronted wooden door to it - that could be lifted up to double as a temp. desk...

Mine is a combined washer dryer, and there's definitely a water supply to it. I used to hear the water pump going on and off all the time when the dryer was going.

I'm willing to accept that standalone condenser dryers might be different as I've never used one, although I thought the water was used to condense the steam/hot air from the dryer?

Mine is a combined washer dryer, and there's definitely a water supply to it. I used to hear the water pump going on and off all the time when the dryer was going.

I'm willing to accept that standalone condenser dryers might be different as I've never used one, although I thought the water was used to condense the steam/hot air from the dryer?

Phew I thought that was why my dryer was rubbish :P no they just go round and round heat up the clothes which goes into steam and is collected in a drawer via a tube

Of course a washer / dryer will have a water supply but when drying it doesn't use the water supply, the pump you'll be able to hear would be more than likely the pump to get rid of the water. A standalone condenser dryer more than likely uses a container for the water and not a hose.

Edit, to add prob may be wrong. The condenser (well heat exchanger) may use a external water supply as well to cool it down, so it more than likely in a washer / dryer to do so.

Funny you should say that I was thinking of adding a flap fronted wooden door to it - that could be lifted up to double as a temp. desk...

That's a good idea.

Edited by Robbo

Martin if you only need to dry small amounts of clothes have you looked at the dri-buddy dont know if they are any good but they can be stored away.

Edited by romarni123

Matin if ou only need to dry small amounts of clothes have you looked at the dri-buddy dont know if they are any good but they can be stored away.

I've googled that - interesting..

I've googled that - interesting..

Whilton marina also do a tumble dryer for £99.00 but it does not seen very powerful and I think it may not be much differant in size to a white knight.Dri buddi are £60.00 in argos you could buy and try and if no good take it back :P but check it is a returnable product

Edited by romarni123

We have a Zanussi compact washer in the rear cabin and a White Knight dryer in the front cratch/cockpit.

Haven't got a tumble drier but having a shoreline I find an electric desiccant dehumidifier does the same job and is quite compact.

cheers,

Pete.

Yes, if you look at the specs, many washer dryers use as much or more water on the drying cycle as they do on a wash cycle. The incoming cool water is passed through a heat exchanger/condenser to cool the drying air and condense the water out of it. That is the main reason why we decided to fit a separate vented dryer to our boat.

A full load in our Zanussi ZWC1300W fits fine into the dryer (a creda compact) eliminating any problems with inability to dry in one go what you can wash.

Nick

We are considering losing the dryer both to free up the space and to bring it home to replace the ailing one at home.

Our washer at home is also intermittently playing up so the compact washer from the boat could come home too to replace that.

So to replace both at home (which it's looking like we are going to have to do anyway) we could use the ones on the boat and replace the ones on the boat with a combined appliance. The dryer bit would need to be condensing to avoid the need for venting and it would need to be compact to fit the existing space.

I'm pretty sure our inverter can cope (Mastervolt combi 4000) as it copes with our washer now which is never run at the same time as the dryer) a washer dryer will run sequentially.

At home we have a washing machine and a seperate tumble dryer, which does no have to have a seperate water supply; you just empty the tray thingy when full. Works a treat. Bosch make (others are available).

Your machine is a Zanussi 'Studio' (flat ?) edition. Agree with another poster above that a wood door would have been advisable for aesetic reasons. Plus fridge and freezer etc.

We have a normal sized (Hotpoint) cold fill washer dryer on the boat. Bit of a mistake as in hindsight which we all know is a perfect science, the dryer bit was a waste of time, apart from the tasteful door that hides it. Say one hour wash and then 2 hours dry, to damp in our experience. Waste of diesel if you are not hooked up to shore power imo.

After 4 + years on this particular boat the following conclusions have been drawn fron all year boating as possible solutions:

We have a heated and vented wet locker when the Webasto ch is on.

In the shower cubile their is a detatchable wardrobe style rail that we can hang washing from that drys naturally from the ambient heat of the bathroom.

Sometimes have to hang bits of washed clothing around the boat to dry, but the gist of what I am trying to say is that ambient heat what ever time of the year will dry your clothes. It does not seem to increase the humidity inside if your ventilation is up to scratch.

Can't help about whether to use bio or non bio. Fabric softner questions should go on another thread :cheers:

Swapped our Zanussi/White Knight combo for one of these two months ago. Fantastic.

The factit weighs the load and only adds the water it requires really helps when we have half loads during the week.

Nice - but it won't fit our 'ole.

Whilton marina also do a tumble dryer for £99.00 but it does not seen very powerful and I think it may not be much differant in size to a white knight.Dri buddi are £60.00 in argos you could buy and try and if no good take it back :P but check it is a returnable product

The one they advertise is made by Thompson. I have one at home, but don't expect it do anything more than take the worst of the wet out of your clothes. And the capacity is barely big enough for one bath towel.