Lives of canal boat women 1800-1960

Ray T

Featured Posts

I went to hear this guy talk at Bedworth a few months ago and I was NOT impressed at all. Indeed, several boaters were present and they were even less impressed. His talk consisted of a few pictures of old boats and boaters strung together with a talk that contained (at best) half-truths and misquoted "facts". He was patronising in the extreme and and on several occasions insulting to boating people. It was obvious that he had no practical experience of the canals, boats or boat people.

I'm afraid I could not recommend that anyone with an interest in the subject go see this guy.

Hi Jeannette

Sorry, no I don't know for sure. But I wouldn't have thought so. However, I think that he arranged several talks in the area on the back of the interest generated by the exhibition.

Laura and I went to this guy's talk expecting an informed talk from which we could learn. We were disappointed.

Peter

Hello Peter

Had planned to attend this talk @ the same time as visiting family in Coventry.Thanks for the warning & i wont be attending it now

as i would have been with a couple of ex working boat women & the last thing in the world i would want is for them to be offended.

hope to see you both soon

Jeannette

• Greenie 1

Just got back from the talk.

Whilst he used many of Robert Longdon's photo's (to which he gave due credit) There were several photo's I'd not seen.

The talk was aimed at people with limited canal experience.

I actually enjoyed it and did not see any of the merits you quoted Peter O.