hanbury wharf back via seven and avon

crash

Featured Posts

Hi I am looking at bringing a 71 foot narrowboat via the seven and avon rivers rather than going back up the worcester and birmingham not much experience on rivers please advise on possible problems cheers

erm, could you clarify your intentions? Handbury is on the Worcs and Brum and unless you wait for the Droitwich to reopen (only one month off now) it's your only way of getting there.

Are you thinking of doing the ring Via Stratford, Evesham and tewkesbury?

Sorry was thinking Worcester-Tewkesbury-Evesham picking up the Grand union at kingswood junction in about 3 weeks time . I have been on the Trent but a long while ago do not have VHF or anchor would these be needed cheers

VHF no.

Anchor, no one will check although the cognoscenti will say you should have one. I can't think of a single bridge or weir that is so hazardous that, at summer flow levels, you'd be in any real danger although a loss of dignity is always possible.

More of a problem are the stiff gates and very short landing stages, especially in a cross wind.

i've just done up from Gloucester, up the canal through worcester to Stratford and back down the Avon/Severn not sure what I can add that the others haven't though other than getting the number for Bob at Tewkesbury lock. That guy is a wealth of useful information. Oh and double check stoppages. :rolleyes:

You may have problems at some of the locks on the Avon, where the only way that a 71-footer will fit is diagonally. The lock-keeper at Evesham may tell you it's impossible but by then IIRC you'll have passed the shortest ones anyway Shutting the bottom gates may be an exercise in logistics, and you will need to fill the locks carefully where the gate paddles will be trying to fill the front of the boat instead.

yep we helped a guy with a very long boat (not sure how long but must have been getting on for 70ft) he warned us before we turned the paddles just to open the one oposite his boat first then the other. The water still went into the front of his boat a bit.