Generator Ignorance

gwinsk

Featured Posts

My wife recently bought me a Schneider two stroke petrol generator, to cover the possibillity that we might arrive at the boat, to find a flat starter battery.

Although there is a plug and lead supplied for the DC outlet, there

isn't one for the AC outlet socket. Worse, this socket must be of a

European persuasion, since it's about the size of a UK three round pin

outlet but whereas the centre pin slot is round, the other two are

rectangular, like those on a normal 240 volts domestic socket.

I wrote to the supplier, Coopers of Stortford, asking whether they

had forgotten to include the AC plug or, alternatively, could they tell me where I

might buy one. The answer is a gem:

As the advert states, this item provides you with "portable 230-volt

mains power and 12-volt/10A DC power wherever you need it" and does

not include a power outlet for AC power. It may be possible to get an

adaptor so that this can be converted to AC, however, there is no plug

or cable available from the suppliers."

Ignorance is wider spread than I feared. A Yahoo search on Schneider Portable Generator threw up The Green Reaper as another supplier. Their sales blurb includes

"This superb petrol generator providing you with portable 240-volt DC power, wherever and whenever you need it."

It goes on to quote the DC Power as being 240 volts at 50Hz................

I've not yet pointed out to them that not knowing the difference between 12v DC and 240v AC is a sure fire way to get killed!

Does anyone have one of these unusual AC outlet cockets and know where I can get a plug to fit?

Gerry Winskill

Gerry.

This sounds like a standard european socket, plugs should be available, people take them on holiday these days. I will have a look in the RS components catalogue tomorrow.

You may find that it is more convienient to fit a domestic 13 amp socket or a BS4040 type (see previous threads) instead of the one that is fitted.

John Squeers

Gerry.

This sounds like a standard european socket, plugs should be available, people take them on holiday these days.  I will have a look in the RS components catalogue tomorrow.

You may find that it is more convienient to fit a domestic 13 amp socket or a BS4040 type (see previous threads) instead of the one that is fitted.

John Squeers

That is probably the easiest, long term, solution.

The frustration is that we won't be going across to the boat again until next year.

Gerry Winskill

Gerry, Is Schneider an American machine. If so, what you have is what America passes off as an electrical system. This whole bloody country is filled with what I would consider to be inferior connectors. The quality of which would make a saint swear. If you want to stick with what you have I can stick some of the better plugs in the post for you.

For those of you who have been discussing cabling and earthing on another forum, We have 110 and 220 in the "same" double socket. Try plugging your computer in to the wrong one. I blew up three power supplies before I found out what the problem was.

Gerry.

When you finally get the thing running, check what output voltages you are getting and also is one side of the 230 volts connected to the body. Simillar thing goes for the D/C side.

Are you serious about not visiting you boat untill next year, what about general maintenance, a bit of dusting, and drying out, I find that amazing. No wonder you need a generator.

I note you are moored at Venetian Marine. You can cruise from there right through the winter.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

Next year is only 4 (and a bit for the pedantic) weeks away! That's not too long to leave the boat as long as you've winterised it properly. Unfortunately, it looks as though I won't be getting a day this month so it'll be next year before I visit it again. Ho, Hum. It's a hard life.

Paul.

If Gerry meant 4 weeks I don't think he would have said next year. Not uncommon though, there are boats on my marina that get locked up in September and aren't visited again untill May.

I am moored on a 20 odd mile lock free pound so we can't blame stoppages. I sometimes wonder why some people have boats.

I am never sure what 'proper winterising' is, if it is frost protection the same rules apply to 3 days or 3 months.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

Gerry.

When you finally get the thing running, check what output voltages you are getting and also is one side of the 230 volts connected to the body.  Simillar thing goes for the D/C side.

Are you serious about not visiting you boat untill next year, what about general maintenance, a bit of dusting, and drying out, I find that amazing.  No wonder you need a generator.

I note you are moored at Venetian Marine.  You can cruise from there right through the winter.

John Squeers

Not if you no longer live in the UK but are keen enough to ignore the obvious option of selling, and use it whenever possible.

Gerry Winskill

Gerry, Is Schneider an American machine. If so, what you have is what America passes off as an electrical system. This whole bloody country is filled with what I would consider to be inferior connectors. The quality of which would make a saint swear. If you want to stick with what you have I can stick some of the better plugs in the post for you.

The labelling says it's German. I slipped up by not bringing the thing home with me.

Gerry