Strawberry and cream muffins

Guest wanted

Featured Posts

Guest wanted

Now we have a new oven that will actually cook things we have started to bake again. this was our first attempt and I have to say that they are bloody lovely. They took a little longer than the suggest timming but that's standard in smaller ovens.

enjoy.

2 Eggs

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1 pint single cream

300g Sugar

400g Flour (plain)

3 teaspoons Baking Powder

1/2 teaspoon Salt

200g Fresh Strawberries

Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mk 6, 400°F). Place the eggs, vanilla extract, sugar and cream in a large mixing bowl and beat together until sugar is dissolved.

In another bowl place the flour, salt and baking powder and mix thoroughly.

Chop the strawberries into small pieces, and stir into the flour. Pour in the liquid, and mix together until just blended.

Line a muffin tray with paper muffin cases, and then fill each case to just below the top with the muffin mixture. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes. They are cooked when a skewer inserted into one and then removed comes out clean.

Now we have a new oven that will actually cook things we have started to bake again. this was our first attempt and I have to say that they are bloody lovely. They took a little longer than the suggest timming but that's standard in smaller ovens.

enjoy.

2 Eggs

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1 pint single cream

300g Sugar

400g Flour (plain)

3 teaspoons Baking Powder

1/2 teaspoon Salt

200g Fresh Strawberries

Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mk 6, 400°F). Place the eggs, vanilla extract, sugar and cream in a large mixing bowl and beat together until sugar is dissolved.

In another bowl place the flour, salt and baking powder and mix thoroughly.

Chop the strawberries into small pieces, and stir into the flour. Pour in the liquid, and mix together until just blended.

Line a muffin tray with paper muffin cases, and then fill each case to just below the top with the muffin mixture. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes. They are cooked when a skewer inserted into one and then removed comes out clean.

Oh My, they do sound good, and so much easier than messing about creaming sugar into butter and then folding in flour which always curdles the mix when I do it! Do you mean it took longer that the 20-25 minutes, or is that your adjusted timings?

Guest wanted

Oh My, they do sound good, and so much easier than messing about creaming sugar into butter and then folding in flour which always curdles the mix when I do it! Do you mean it took longer that the 20-25 minutes, or is that your adjusted timings?

They took longer than 20-25 mins in my oven, they took about 35, the clean knife test is the best way to tell. It really is easy.

Enjoy

Stop going on about it, I'm trying to lose a bit of weight here!

well I guess you could make a low fat version and with milk instead of cream, and they do have healthy strawberries! rolleyes.gif

this first batch were jolly expensive though, do you know how much vanilla extract is?!...sheesh! £4 for a 75ml bottle, rather nice though and wonderful in a baked egg custard, so Im sure it will be well used.

Baked Egg Custard Recipe.

Ingredients

• 450ml (3/4 pint) milk
  • Few drops vanilla essence
  • 40g (1 ½ oz) caster sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • A little grated nutmeg

Method

• Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4.
  • Heat the milk, vanilla essence and sugar in a small pan until nearly boiling, then pour the mixture over the beaten egg, stirring continuously.
  • Strain the mixture through a sieve into a 600ml (1 pint) ovenproof dish.
  • Sprinkle over a little nutmeg, then bake for 50-60 mins until set.
  • Serve with stewed or tinned fruit.