Montgomery Canal

Ian B

Featured Posts

Just wondering how far you can get from Frankton Junc

before its non navigable?

Looking to go up the Llangollen in the Autmun

Ian

I think somewhere around Maesbury Marsh (Maes, now theres a nice Welsh word the wrong side of the border!) so down Frankton and Aston Locks, someone else will have more details. I believe you have to book through Frankton and they are only open two hours a day

I think somewhere around Maesbury Marsh (Maes, now theres a nice Welsh word the wrong side of the border!) so down Frankton and Aston Locks, someone else will have more details. I believe you have to book through Frankton and they are only open two hours a day

Yes you have to book, we went down there last year, was worth the trip cant remember how long it takes but definately under a days travel, i think its 12pm-2pm to enter the locks and you could goto the end then come off the following day, we stayed on a couple of days and had a long walk down where it used to run cos part of it has been reopened further down but not linked yet.

Yes you have to book, we went down there last year, was worth the trip cant remember how long it takes but definately under a days travel, i think its 12pm-2pm to enter the locks and you could goto the end then come off the following day, we stayed on a couple of days and had a long walk down where it used to run cos part of it has been reopened further down but not linked yet.

We went three years ago and well worth the trip. Easy to turn at the end of navigation - just before bridge 82 I think - but book in good time because there is a maximim number of boats per day 6 or 12 - I'm not shure. I think you need to book with BW at before 10am on the day you wish to enter but a day earlier may be better. In 2008 entry was between 12noon and 2pm. The phone number WAS 01606 723800 but may have changed by now!

• 5 weeks later...

Well worth a day or two on this quiet canal and only takes about 3 hours to travel to Maesbury Marsh from Frankton locks.There is a good mooring at Maesbury Marsh outside the little canal shop/cafe, they will order your morning paper too. Good meal can be had at the Navigation Inn just a short walk away, but you can also moor there, there is a BW sanitary station here as well, and another one on the old arm of the canal just below Frankton locks

Edited by Dalesman