French waterways

Kristian

Featured Posts

A good book with quite a few drawings and lots of discriptions is INLAND WATERWAYS OF FRANCE by David Edwards-May, published by

Imray, Laurie, Norie & Wilson Ltd.

Peter.

if you get the 1963 edition it has diagrams of all the tunnel profiles, too.

"Through the French Canals" by David Jefferson is less informative than Imrays but full of pretty pictures.

You can combine two hobbies with "Water into Wine: A Wine Lover's Journey Through The Waterways of France" by Hilary Wright, which is one I like to peruse regularly.

Another good book that I've always enjoyed reading is named : "France- the quiet way" by John Liley and edited by Stanford Maritime, it's a bit old (mine is '75) and I don't know if it has been reprinted and updated since.

You can also get watermaps of France that are very informative and well detailed, there are 27 of those in the "NAVICARTE" collection edited by éditions Grafocarte, you can surely get these somewhere in the U.K.

Peter.

Not sure where he is but I got my Canal du Midi one from here-

http://www.michaelbriant.com/navicarte.htm

Just had a look a his site, by the looks of it he's gone sailing now (lucky bugger !)

SHOP CLOSED----GONE SAILING - NOT BACK UNTIL MID/LATE - JUNE By the looks of it he's at la Rochelle.

There are several places in France that sell those maps, one of them is : www.librariefluvial.com

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

• 3 months later...