Can we paint our (metal) kitchen sink?

Featured Posts

Personally I wouldn't bother. Any paint type finish subjected to hard implements hitting it on a regular basis is not going to look for long. spray enamel paints are ok for touching up worn enamel that has become rough but totally unsuitable for painting stainless steel. In fact I can't think of any type of paint that will stick to stainless well. Even if there is I don't think it will be in the scope of DIY.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Personally I wouldn't bother. Any paint type finish subjected to hard implements hitting it on a regular basis is not going to look for long. spray enamel paints are ok for touching up worn enamel that has become rough but totally unsuitable for painting stainless steel. In fact I can't think of any type of paint that will stick to stainless well. Even if there is I don't think it will be in the scope of DIY.

OP doesn't mention stainless steel. I agree that SS would be better left as it is, but if it's tatty zinc, for example, pehaps covering it may improve the appearance. Hammerite is pretty tough, but even that would need renewing regularly if the sink was subjected to any sort of abrasion.

OP doesn't mention stainless steel. I agree that SS would be better left as it is, but if it's tatty zinc, for example, pehaps covering it may improve the appearance. Hammerite is pretty tough, but even that would need renewing regularly if the sink was subjected to any sort of abrasion.

Hammerite is not particularly chip resistant when it has fully hardened. In fact quite the opposite! If paint is going to be used I think one of the flexible acrylic types would be more suitable.

Sounds as if it may be best left as it is, or replaced. Could look aweful with chipped paint :D. Thanks for your help.

If you replace, shop around. A mate bought a new sink thinking he had a good price. Within a week he'd seen 4 others, all better quality, with one of them being half the price he'd paid.

Tony