Land & water barges from Denham Quarry ?

onionbargee

Featured Posts

There has'nt been any commercial traffic on the canal system ( exept the big stuff up north) for decades, there are 30 odd thousand cruising and residential boats now, it's a totally different story. The commercial era died because it became economically unviable,and the Denham traffic is, according to the towpath telegraph, subsidized by grants. it would be a disaster if we let heavy freight back onto the cut.

I use a metre of 1 inch rebar,and a sledge hammer, but i want an easy life, not drilling through the earths crust every time i tie up.

Edited by onionbargee

I use a metre of 1 inch rebar,and a sledge hammer, but i want an easy life, not drilling through the earths crust every time i tie up.

The couple I know who use Spyra ground anchors say they've used them in quite sandy soil on busy commercial waterways in France and Belgium and they've never shifted once. Their boat is a converted tjalk and weighs some 60 dwt. They are screwed into the ground using a short bar in the top as a handle - his wife is a wee thing but can do it with no effort. I guess that might come into your definition of drilling through the earth's crust, but it's a damn sight easier than swinging a sledge hammer at a metre of 1 inch rebar, and it works.

Edited by Tam & Di

1. If you don't want boats coming passed then moor in a marina.

2. Learn to tie your boat up properly and your pins won't pull out - how do you think people on the Aire and Calder manage!.

3. Pumping in water is not an uncommon way to ballast boats down for return trips. If they had ballast then they would not be able to carry as much.

4. They are keeping the channel clear with is good for everyone.

nice one that the think to say to popel that dont like it

the problem was the younger of the two guys on the barges had an attitude and speed problem, after several reprimands from his employer and a few boaters, he did calm down. It matters not how well you tie your boat when the ground is sodden, one of these barges comes through at speed and loaded, your pins are pulled (but someone perfect would know how to stop the pins being pulled of course). I was hit by one of them whilst moored, watched him do it as i walked up the towpath towards my boat (he was on his mobile), when i contacted land and water to claim for the damage, a guy came out and told me my boat had come adrift, luckily, i had video of it on me phone. just over £500 of damage

well i dont think thay have a speed problem !!!! its the water they move when the boats go by you m8 i think !!!