Solar Panel Regulator

choogh

Featured Posts

Can anyone help ??..

My solar panel regulator has three, sets of connections, two from the panel. two from the battery and two from/to the load?. My system is connected without the two load connections being used. What are they for?,

The panel is used for topping up the battery bank.. On testing.. the panel output is 44v dc and the batt. connection reads 27.4v dc. Is this OK, the "manual" is rather basic and has no detailed information. :banghead:

Thanks

Can anyone help ??..

My solar panel regulator has three, sets of connections, two from the panel. two from the battery and two from/to the load?. My system is connected without the two load connections being used. What are they for?,

The panel is used for topping up the battery bank.. On testing.. the panel output is 44v dc and the batt. connection reads 27.4v dc. Is this OK, the "manual" is rather basic and has no detailed information. :banghead:

Thanks

No Idea..what make of regulator you have..but mine has 2 terminals with a picture of a lightbulb on it.

When I asked the supplier..they said..you dont connect that..its just an automatic night time light that...you can put a low power bulb on it and it will come on as the light fades..?

They said the large illuminated on/off switch controls this. I asked of the switch affects the charging circuit..but they said no..it was only for the night-light bulb.

No idea if that is right...mine has not been connected to anything( the light bulb terminals) for 3 years...and seems to have no affect. The cells charge fine whatever the switch setting.

Edited by Bobbybass

I think it's for a dump load, such as a lightbulb- when the batteries are fully charged, it can run this load rather than going open circuit. So you could have a 12v immersion heater in the calorifier, for example, to provide "free" hot water.

I'm not sure thats needed with solar cells..I think thats only for wind turbines...?

My terminals go live...when the sun is gone..which fits in with what the supplier told me..?

Edited by Bobbybass

Can anyone help ??..

Thanks

As has been said just ignore the "load" terminals for now.

Is this a MPPT controller?

If not then having the array at 44v on a 24v bat system is not good if the bat was connected.

Was the array measured with no battery connected IE open circuit? If so then that sounds about right.

As has been said just ignore the "load" terminals for now.

Is this a MPPT controller?

If not then having the array at 44v on a 24v bat system is not good if the bat was connected.

Was the array measured with no battery connected IE open circuit? If so then that sounds about right.

Using a my Whitegold meter...my cells read about 17.4 volts when disconnected from the controller...I read this was about right..?

Bob

cells?

Is that bat cells or PV cells?

17v is about right for a 12v nominal PV array for charging a 12v nominal battery bank.

You need to know if your controller is an MPPT one or not.

If it is you need to know what its max rated voltage is. Then as long at the max V is around 50v you are good to go.

If its not you need to ensure that the V of the array is suitable for the battery bank.

Your 24v battery bank can be charged at up to nearly 30v (dep on type of bats)

With a non MPPT controller the bats will keep the V of the array down BUT you loose power by doing so, lots of power.

PV panels have a ppoint at which the rated power is made.

Lets say its at 30v on a 100watt panel.

So that panel can put out 3.3amps. Now if you wire that up to a 15v battery the max power will drop to 15v x 3.3amps = 50watts. This is why MPPT controllers capture the most power possible from an array by keeping the array voltage at the peak point.

There is little to be gained by measuring the V of an array with no load on it.