Steelwork Spec on an Evans Shell

wrigglefingers

Featured Posts

Okay everybody,

The search continues ....... We went to see a 55ft Evans, (2000) this afternoon. It's got a very short swim (4' 6" approx) and a Shire 3cyl 40hp engine on oil-filled mounts with an Aquadrive, PRM 150, gear reduction of 3:1 and a prop sized at 19/14 on a 1 3/4" shaft. The steelwork spec is 10/6/6. She sits very high in the water and the cabin is noticeably taller than anything I've been on before. Draft is 1'9", but I'm not sure of the airdraft. Is there a connection between the propulsion set up and my suspicion that she will wallow a bit as she seems rather top heavy?

She's priced at 40k which I think would be a reasonable price but there are no documents relating to the build other than Evans' hull documents. And the question about craning her out for a survey caused some amazement at first. The couple selling her are really pleasant and it's their pride and joy so I don't want to upset them. The BSC is valid until 2008.

Any thoughts? Level of equipment is excellent, generator, macerator lav etc, fit out work in progress.

Jill

Okay everybody,

The search continues ....... We went to see a 55ft Evans, (2000) this afternoon. It's got a very short swim (4' 6" approx) and a Shire 3cyl 40hp engine on oil-filled mounts with an Aquadrive, PRM 150, gear reduction of 3:1 and a prop sized at 19/14 on a 1 3/4" shaft. The steelwork spec is 10/6/6. She sits very high in the water and the cabin is noticeably taller than anything I've been on before. Draft is 1'9", but I'm not sure of the airdraft. Is there a connection between the propulsion set up and my suspicion that she will wallow a bit as she seems rather top heavy?

She's priced at 40k which I think would be a reasonable price but there are no documents relating to the build other than Evans' hull documents. And the question about craning her out for a survey caused some amazement at first. The couple selling her are really pleasant and it's their pride and joy so I don't want to upset them. The BSC is valid until 2008.

Any thoughts? Level of equipment is excellent, generator, macerator lav etc, fit out work in progress.

Jill

With this boat, like any boat you need a survey before you part with 40k. The cabin sides are usually 4 or 5 mm on the boats I have viewed. Is the hull of a rather low freeboard hence making the cabin sides higher? My prvious boat was built in this manner, it did tend to roll a bit. The only Evans I have heard about was John Evans in Lancashire.

Hi Jill

First thought BSC is two (2) years old and not worth the paper it's typed on.

Fitout in progress, who is doing the fitout (rhetorical), is it being done to RCD standards

The boat is approximately five (5) years old, long time to fitout, has she had her bottom blacked (proof) in that time.

As to the mechanics etc. I have no experience so will leave that for others to comment.

Sorry to be a pessimist :rolleyes:

Hi Bottle and Catweasel,

I think that should read Evans and Son and I think they're based in Stafford. Apparently she was blacked and anoded in November last. I think the fit out has been work in progress for a long time and I think they just love tinkering with her! (currently having a new full-length bath fitted). They say the work is completed to RCD standard but......

Jill

Hi Bottle and Catweasel,

I think that should read Evans and Son and I think they're based in Stafford. Apparently she was blacked and anoded in November last. I think the fit out has been work in progress for a long time and I think they just love tinkering with her! (currently having a new full-length bath fitted). They say the work is completed to RCD standard but......

Jill

Jill

RCD's and BSC's can be something of a farce. I strongly advise you to have a survey (out of water) before you proceed. It could save you a fortune and much heartache.

Edited by Guest

Hi Jill

I'm with Catweasel a survey is a must, it may cost hundreds but could save thousands.

You only need to commission the survey when all the other questions are answered to your satisfaction.

There are a lot of 'ifs and buts' with this boat, as long as you can satisfy your self without any doubts she may well be a good buy.

Another question (rhetorical) do you have the money to complete the fitout and repairs (if any).

When you have completed the fitout will she be worth the cost (boat and fitout)

They might be 'really pleasant' people but so are the best con artists to your face.

Some boats do have a lower gunnel (lower freeboard) which results in a highter cabin.

- Im actually not sure what Emilyanne's air draft is, but its easy to mesure a few boats and compair it.

- 1'9" draft isnt huge, but its its now bad, and atleast you wont keep hiting the bottom all the time.

I think the thing that stand out the most to me is the 6mm thick roof, our steel is 12/5/3.

Daniel

Okay everybody,

Jill

Jill,

Our boat is a 1995 50 foot Evans & Son, so not totally comparable, but I may be able to offer some input.

Quite a lot of words, so please be patient with me!

As I understand it, (and others may know better), Evans & Son were based in Stafford, as someone has said. I'm not convinced they still are, but may be wrong. There was a fairly important player in the industry called Mike Heywood, and if you read up in "The Narrow Boat Owners Book", he did much towards bringing mid-range shells with reasonable lines, into the marketplace at prices much lower than they had been previously. As I understand it Mike Heywood ended up working for Evans & Son, so the two names have a lot in common. His nephew is Jonathan Wilson, I gather, who still produces high quality shells, and is much respected.

I'm not surprised by it having a fairly heavy cabin - ours is built above the gunwhales in 5mm, where either 4mm or a mix of 4mm and 5mm is more normal. As a result she does roll slightly more than some, but is certainly not unstable. I'm surprised if it is 6mm though - that sounds excessive, and I think you need to check this - it sounds unlikely to me.

I'm also amazed about the short swim. Do you mean the distance from where the sides start to narrow in under the counter plate, back to where the propellor comes out at the back. Our Evans & Son has something like 9 feet, and according to our surveyer these shells are generally known for their clean lines, little wash, and swimming well. If it's genuinely only 4 foot 6 inches, it sounds completely wrong, and I can't imagine why it should get much worse on a later boat, unless some misguided soul has asked for something unusual to get more internal space. Frankly, if it is like that, I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial boat pole.

Two further possible features of this builder to look for, one of which can only be found if out of water, unfortunately.

Like many builders, the baseplate will probably be multiple bits of 10mm steel. It's not unusual for these only to be welded on top, (the inside of the boat), as it's hard for them to turn the joined plate, and then make the weld on the other side. Apparently whilst not a major issue, many boats from this builder can have a fine blade inserted upwards between the plates for anything up to half the thickness, before reaching the weld. Our surveyor found this, and we have since had the weld ground out and made from underneath, (a precaution only - it was hardly likely to ever be problematic).

Our biggest problem was with the keel-cooling "skin tank". These are normally on the side of the swim, and should present at least 8 square feet, ands possibly 10 square feet towards the canal. They should also be thin, (about 1" possibly"), with baffles inside. Heywood apparently built many boats with a much smaller fatter box. Ours was only about 2 feet in each direction, but 4" thick, and eventually found to have no baffles. This proved inadequate, even on canals, let alone rivers, and hence we had to have it replaced by one of a correct design. This was NOT cheap.

You need to check the skin tank size, but if the swim is genuinely as short as you say, it's hard to imagine it could be big enough, (unless there is one on each side, as is sometimes done).

Sorry a lot of waffle, but to recap....

1) If top is really 6mm throughout, it may roll quite a lot, and be slow to stop rolling when it does. It could be too unstable, I'd have thought.

2) Swim should be about twice what you are saying, measured from where it first curves in under counter to prop.

3) Baseplates may need a weld remade - both Evans & Sons boats sold at our marina this year did.

4) Skin tank should be at least 8 square feet, and thin. Small and fat spells trouble, particularly if you are going to exploit anything like that 40 horsepower - the more power you need to dissipate, the bigger the tank should be.

But generally, if these are OK, they are reckoned to be good mid-range boats that handle better than many. Ours swims and handles better than hire boats, with surprisingly little wash. It cost a bit to sort the cooling, but I'm not sorry we bought her.

Feel free to personal message me, if you need further clarification.

Alan

Jill.

I would go along with most of what Alan said. To me there are a few warning bells ringing here, if you are correct about the short swims and the cabin steel thickness you should make enquiries of people who know the boat. Bear in mind the boat could have been built in Joe Evans' back garden in Rochdale.

Forty Thousand pounds is not a lot to pay for a fifty five foot boat, but it is not that cheap either you can afford to be a bit picky. The engine assembly sounds OK as long as it was new with the boat, the fact it has an Aquadrive fitted suggests that the builder did not skimp to much. The high cabin may simply mean that it is not ballasted low enough or could be an illusion.

I suggest you go back and measure things for yourself, don't take the owners word for anything, not because they are not honest but simply that they probably don't know much about it. If you confirm all you have said I would recommend you walk away from it.

Short swims and 6mm cabin, it will handle like a dog on lino.

If it's an "Evans & Son", rather than a "Joe Evans in his back garden", then it may well have a plate welded or rivetted to the backwards edge of the gas locker hatch. Ours has fairly substantial plate, with ornate patterned ends that match the hinges used on the hatch. From memory it says "EVANS & SON" (in capitals), with no other detail, although the engraving or stamping isn't that clear, being largely filled with paint.

If you can put a picture of the boat in the gallery, I think I could have a fair guess as to whether it's this builder.

Or you could look on the various web-sites of the brokers and other sales - there are usually a few of this make on offer, and you can see how much yours looks like it, (or not....)

Here's quite a good example of a 1998 boat. It shows the bow shape typical of these boats quite well, and looks similar in overall outline to a few I've seen...

Link to an Evans & Son boat for sale

Edited by alan_fincher

Hi Jill

I am sorry you have not found your boat yet but good luck and keep looking. :rolleyes:

Your boat is out there but you have not found her yet but you will.

Happy hunting

ps don't forget to come back and ask again