Save the Royal Iris

Josher

Featured Posts

These guys need just 30 more names ...

Royal Iris

As you are aware, the Royal Iris took on water in February and the RNLI attended to help search the vessel for possible persons. [story]

The Royal Iris is not loved in London and that's understandable. She appears to be in poor condition, despite the good work carried out by the current owner. She has no part in London's maritime heritage and needs to be back on Merseyside where people care for her and recall the happy days when she sailed up and down the River Mersey.

Wirral Globe Here

Ex Liverpool photographer Dave Wood, who now lives in Luton, started the on-line rescue bid after visiting the mooring.

He said: "When I saw the state of her it was shocking.

"I've been popping down there and having a look now and again. "Especially now with the recession and everything I can't see how it would make any money in London because it's got no history down there. It has got to be sorted out and that's why I set up the petition.

"When it hits 2000 I'm going to present the petiion to Greenwich Council and also the Royal Iris owner Mr James Jegede to see if anything can be done about bringing it back to the Mersey."

Only seven more to go!

While it sounds like a great idea to bring the IRIS back to Merseyside who is going to pay for it, where will it moor, and what will they do with it..? The IRIS is not listed on the historic ships register and they already have 3 Mersey ferries still working on the river.

While it sounds like a great idea to bring the IRIS back to Merseyside who is going to pay for it, where will it moor, and what will they do with it..? The IRIS is not listed on the historic ships register and they already have 3 Mersey ferries still working on the river.

All fair points - but with schemes like Wirral Waters coming out of the blocks, perhaps they will need a few more ferries!

29 November 2010

Approval for £4.5bn Wirral waterfront regeneration BBC

The green light means work can now start on the waterfront project

Wirral Waters will include several landmark high rise-buildings, green spaces and 13,000 homes on land around the borough's docklands. The proposed development is so large it had to be scrutinised by the Department for Communities and Local Government. But Wirral Council has been told it will not be called in for review. With no public inquiry and outline planning approval already given in August, it means work can start on the land at Wallasey and Birkenhead Docks ahead of its transformation over the next decade. Developer Peel Holdings previously said the development would create tens of thousands of jobs during construction and more when completed. The firm is also planning a £5.5bn Liverpool Waters scheme on the opposite banks of the Mersey. 'Landmark day' Council leader Jeff Green said: "I am delighted the government has demonstrated its trust in allowing local people to make the decision and will not call in the Wirral Waters plan for national review. "This is a £4.5bn project which will create many thousands of jobs over 10 to 15 years. "It is a landmark day for Wirral and is tremendous news." Mr Green said Peel Holdings had already spent a lot of time in China promoting both schemes to potential investors, including at the 2010 World Expo in Shanghai. "Now we have full outline planning we can start marketing the plans to other potential investors," Mr Green added. "There was real interest shown in China in terms of Wirral Waters and Liverpool Waters. We need to now get cracking and start seeing these jobs created."