Rolls batteries

Pretty Funked Up

Featured Posts

I thought about those already as I've heard they respond really well to reconditioning. However when looking for them all I could find where ones already reconditioned and cost a fair whack too.

Do you know a source to get them from?

No, maybe try yellow pages/Yell.com for forklift maintenance, or find a place that has a few and ask who maintains them.

Reading up on these Rolls they seem to be basically the same thing (tractions) on the whole, they do of course do a range of batts, I'm talking about the 4000 and 5000s.

I fancied the 4v 546ah 5000s @£2.26 per 12v Ah. lol. 546 Ah from a bank of 3. I like 3. Its the magic number (de la soul)

Don't know if these prices are up to date but they look alright:

http://www.cclcomponents.com/manufacturer.asp?man=85

http://www.windandsun.co.uk/Prices/prices_batteries.htm.

cheers,

Pete.

We are on our second set of cheapos @£0.59 per 12v Ah this time round (£0.37 per 12v Ah first time round). We have 5 off 110Ah and the first set lasted 4.5 years.

Would Rolls at £2.26 per 12v Ah last 17 years ? I very much doubt it. Oh and by the way I got £4 for each battery scrap, knocking £0.03 per 12v Ah off the orginal cost.

We are on our second set of cheapos @£0.59 per 12v Ah this time round (£0.37 per 12v Ah first time round). We have 5 off 110Ah and the first set lasted 4.5 years.

Would Rolls at £2.26 per 12v Ah last 17 years ? I very much doubt it. Oh and by the way I got £4 for each battery scrap, knocking £0.03 per 12v Ah off the orginal cost.

Wow, 4.5yrs thats ages for a liveaboard. do you liveaboard?

I would be happy with 4 years or more. I was cursing my batteries this afternoon when the inverter kept cutting out on low voltage whilst vacuuming. I knew they were tired but are struggling badly for high amperages now. I was shocked when I looked at them to discover that I put them in at September 2007 (tempus fugit). Thing is they were secondhand then and I paid a fiver each for them :) They are Yuasa 100A/H ex standby and are seriously heavy.

Yes those are the ones (UPS) that are suprising us at the moment. Are you liveaboard? :unsure:

Semi-liveaboard. I think these batteries would be meggabucks new, but I do wonder if it would be worthwhile in the long run. I must admit that I don't look after batteries too well, but these have done very well indeed. They are probably badly sulphated now. I know people say that sealed batteries are no good on boats, but in my experience these have been brilliant costing 20 quid for the lot. I have no battery boiler or anything, just a 90Amp alternator, with an occasional charge off a marine charger fed from a little genny. We don't need anything else.

260 quid!!

http://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-npl100-12-569-p.asp

Edited by Guest

I've been needing new batteries for a while now.

I was wondering/hoping someone out there has some of these Rolls batteries from canada and can hopefully tell me what they think of them??????

Rolls

Their flagship models tote:

- 10 year manufacturing warranty

- 3200 cycles @ 50% depth of discharge

Hi PFU

I replaced my bank 3 months ago with 2 x Rolls 6CS21P 6v 5000 series batteries rated at 683 AH each. Early days but they produce a solid continuous voltage and so far have worked perfectly. A rule of thumb is supposed to be that the weight of the battery is a fair indicator of their longevity, if that's true at 150 kilos each they should last a very long time. If required they break down into 3 cells each which makes installing easier but slipping the last cell into the very snug plastic case is a tricky business. The full warranty covers the first few years (not sure exactly how long} and then there is a sliding scale of indemnity.

I bought these batteries from Barden because I wanted peace of mind, if I get 10 years of life they will have cost me £150 a year in capital cost, more importantly I don't have to think as much about them, have I over discharged them? do I have enough power to get me through the night? do they need topping up?(they do but once every 3 months or so) and how long will I have to run my genny/engine to charge them when they get tired? If I want to run them for 2 days without charging up its not a problem and if I need to run them for longer, say if I have an engine fault I can eke them out to 4 days or so. Time will tell but they seem to be what Rolls claim "One Mean Battery".

If required they break down into 3 cells each which makes installing easier but slipping the last cell into the very snug plastic case is a tricky business.

Time will tell but they seem to be what Rolls claim "One Mean Battery".

Thats for the info :)

So it sounds like the 6v are just 3 x 2v tractions in a case??

How do they interlink?

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Thats for the info :)

So it sounds like the 6v are just 3 x 2v tractions in a case??

How do they interlink?

The terminals jigsaw into each other, which i didn't notice until i had just slipped the third one into the case and found they wouldn't fit, so had to take them all out and start again. Thankfully no one around to hear my language though the dog disappeared under the table for the next hour. Rolls are just huge chunky plates surrounded with electrolyte, nothing fancy and no bull, I'm sure there are other batteries around which are just as robust but beter VFM? Possible and especially if you have the time and inclination to salvage FLT power packs but is £150 a year too much to pay for a power pack you can forget about? Probably no more expensive than cheapos but a lot less hastle.

I've been needing new batteries for a while now.

I was wondering/hoping someone out there has some of these Rolls batteries from canada and can hopefully tell me what they think of them??????

Rolls

Their flagship models tote:

- 10 year manufacturing warranty

- 3200 cycles @ 50% depth of discharge

I've been reading up about some lithium based batteries where the according to the blurb they are pretty indestructable. Very rapid charge/discharge, deep cycle etc. They have circuits connected to them to charge balance them, so you don't need to do an equalisation charge, power monitors that actually work etc. Probably the next generation of narrowboat batteries. Only one minor issue - to replace the typical bank would cost more than most family cars. In a few years time, when these become main stream it might be a different story.

I've been reading up about some lithium based batteries where the according to the blurb they are pretty indestructable. Very rapid charge/discharge, deep cycle etc. They have circuits connected to them to charge balance them, so you don't need to do an equalisation charge, power monitors that actually work etc. Probably the next generation of narrowboat batteries. Only one minor issue - to replace the typical bank would cost more than most family cars. In a few years time, when these become main stream it might be a different story.

:) any links?

Hope theyre not LiPO

:) any links?

Hope theyre not LiPO

Just Li-ion I believe.

There's a link here, which may be the same as Chalky was referring to: http://www.examiner.com/boating-in-houston/the-latest-marine-technology-lithium-ion-batteries

Tony

There's also these: http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/products/power/product-description.html

And http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/background-knowledge/battery-technology.html?0=

Lithium-manganese.

$2,499

Edited by WotEver

LiFe, Lithium titanate etc, so yes LiPO variants.

Much I as I love what LiPO can do, they are a tad dangerous for a boat/laptop/car/helicopter.

Is LiFe safer? gonna look it up now anywy but have you any links? :huh:

life sounds cool though B)

edit: This gives the anode a surface area of about 100 square meters per gram, compared with 3 square meters per gram for carbon, allowing electrons to enter and leave the anode quickly.

Is this the electron :wub: nano funnel :wub: that i read about ages ago promising a revolution in rechargable batteries?

Tell me more!! :wub:

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

• 3 weeks later...