Sorting Out My Cruiser Stern

Featured Posts

After too much putting things off, I've been working on my cruiser stern area. The new deck boards have been cut to size with a regular handsaw and I opted for varnish to protect the wood. I found floor varnish to be very quick drying but pretty useless in exposed, cold, damp areas. I've now sealed with some yacht varnish. The yacht varnish turned out to be very slow drying and left me with the problem of how to get in and out of my boat. I tried a couple of wooden blocks as stepping stones although those stuck to the varnished wood on removal. Still, the yacht varnish seems a lot more hardy and the plan is to recoat several times, both sides as well as edges.

Seeing as it's been raining heavy this was a good opportunity to see how the new boards handle water. Unlike the former, knackered boards these don't allow water to soak in so excess water theoretically should flow between any cracks and into the gutters. I'm not sure that is yet very efficient for some reason.

Next, I need to paint the gutters and may also paint the bilge area where it can be gotten at.

Finally the cover. This has been the major problem. As it stands the cover is so big it's a hell of a job to put it back on by myself and I've concluded it needs to be even bigger than it is now by maybe 3 feet or so.

While I'm at it I should really varnish the internal floorboards which haven't been done in years and reseal the chimney with fire cement and paint the boat stove in black paint.

Seems endless but am slowly getting there.

Edited by FORTUNATA

I wanted to get ther old ones off rapidy as they were rotting and making a mess. I had to redo some of my boards as my mistake was to try and use floor varnish as well. It didn't work. It caused the floor and yacht varnish to peel off in great strips. So now I used just yacht varnish, thinned out a bit

The next stage is the gutters. I can see they're not self draining at all. I wire brushed the whole lot and will pain in red oxide.

Couldn,t you have left your old deck boards down varnished the new ones and stored them on your other boat untill they were dry ???

Like to Op, I too have been putting off some vital work. I have started to notice that the dack support channels that are supposed to take away the water over the side don't. this in turn has resulted in water remaining in the channels and this in turn has started to rust the channel. I have additionally noticed that the deck boards are ever so slightly dropping, indicating that the channel/supports are becoming weak.

I am not a welder and don't intend becoming one as I am the incorrect shape to get into the appropriate position to weld replacement channels if needs be. Would this be a really expensive job or just an expensive job to have done if replacement is required?

I'm hoping win either the pools or the Lottery this week, as I was last week.

Martyn

Here's what I did: Get a good wire brush and rub down the guttering hard. It's dirty, miserable work but just watch all the years of rust and dirt come off. Cover your engine so it doesn't get covered in the dirt and dust. Same with the batteries. Test the area of the gutters, feeling with fingers beneath for severe rust. Those areas will have to be either welded or maybe filled in with filler.

By the way, the channels would rust even if there was no water in them. They do rust over time. Once you scrape them out, paint with Red Oxide.

As for putting it off, I'm equally guilty. I should have done this months back but what I've done so far has made a big difference. I carefully varnished the new boards and they look terrific. The only fear is foot grit may scratch them so I put rubber car mats down to tread on.

Like to Op, I too have been putting off some vital work. I have started to notice that the dack support channels that are supposed to take away the water over the side don't. this in turn has resulted in water remaining in the channels and this in turn has started to rust the channel. I have additionally noticed that the deck boards are ever so slightly dropping, indicating that the channel/supports are becoming weak.

I am not a welder and don't intend becoming one as I am the incorrect shape to get into the appropriate position to weld replacement channels if needs be. Would this be a really expensive job or just an expensive job to have done if replacement is required?

I'm hoping win either the pools or the Lottery this week, as I was last week.

Martyn

I know, I know, I must do it.

Always afraid I might find something I can't cope with.

We 'did' our last boats engin ole and it was pleasing seeing all the loose stuff we got of. Heavy too. "more ballast please"

If we have a good dry winters day, then that is when it might happen.

Martyn