BW fat cats

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

Are the BW fat cats - in a feeding frenzy?

I ask this question because it seems to me that the fat cats are busy topping up pensions and bonus payments, prior to joining the rats as they abandon ship. As other BW staff bask in the warmth of a wage freeze and the likelihood that their jobs will be passed on to volunteers. BW directors on the other hand gave themselves a significant increases in basic salary and pension entitlement.

There is an interesting read at http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/2400-fat-cats-get-fatter

One of the vomit inducing little snippets "Despite the minutes making it clear that that the remuneration committee did not believe the chief executives claim of £7.5m savings (target £10m) from the re-structure carried out carried out during the year they still awarded him and every other director a bonus. Three directors were awarded bonus payments of over £10,000 with Robin Evans, BW's chief executive being awarded £14,652. An award was also made to a director who had previously left BW's employment with a massive golden handshake."

The truism of "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" is alive and well and living in BW Ivory Towers.

M and M

But what recourse is there? It seems to be a fundamental problem with both the public and private sectors that there is no oversight of the board and therefore reaching the board is a license to pay yourself whatever you want. If this were restricted to BW, then BW could possibly be shamed - but it isn't and one more story of fat cat pay-offs isn't going to change a thing.

and the likelihood that their jobs will be passed on to volunteers............

This will not work, you cannot rely on unpaid staff and volunteers, they will turn up when they want to. Stoke Bruerne has the right appeal, cream teas and buns, however clearing the cut in the back end of Wolverhampton will not have the same appeal, rubbish, yobs and discarded kebabs dont fit the picture so well.

Get real BW, get rid of Evans and spend his wages on some real workers.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

and the likelihood that their jobs will be passed on to volunteers............

This will not work, you cannot rely on unpaid staff and volunteers, they will turn up when they want to. Stoke Bruerne has the right appeal, cream teas and buns, however clearing the cut in the back end of Wolverhampton will not have the same appeal, rubbish, yobs and discarded kebabs dont fit the picture so well.

Get real BW, get rid of Evans and spend his wages on some real workers.

Are you the Laurence Hogg of video fame ?. Well done.....I enjoyed them immensely.

I agree with you...Volunteers are always wonderful people in any organisation but you need 'pay' to make sure that they are always there.

It is hard enough scheduling paid/employed people to do work without them walking away...or taking on other commitments at the last minute.

I have worked for charities as volunteer...and run charity shops. You often find that everyone takes the same day off...or has family commitments.

This is definatly not a knock at volunteers !...but I agree with Laurence..If BW was properly run by real workers instead of something else that starts with a 'W'...it would be a whole lot better !

Bob

It has always been so, Engineering companies run by management consultants go bust, shops run by accountants go bust, etc. etc.

Companies should be run by people who have the skills associated with the core business skills, accountants should be kept in the back rooms and management consultants should be kept well away from any business.

And don't get me started about banks :banghead:

Edited by steve hayes
  • Greenie 1

Like others I cannot see the volenteer thing working. It might be a nice idea but as has beeen said, working as a guide for the National Trust is not the same as volenteering to do some job in pouring rain for BW while you know that all their little managers and fat cat bosses are sat in their nice plush offices racking in the cash and expecting you to do the work that they take credit for when their media machine has finished twisting the facts.

But what recourse is there? It seems to be a fundamental problem with both the public and private sectors that there is no oversight of the board and therefore reaching the board is a license to pay yourself whatever you want. If this were restricted to BW, then BW could possibly be shamed - but it isn't and one more story of fat cat pay-offs isn't going to change a thing.

I agree entirely. There's a whiff of similarity here, to the Bank board members who are rewarded regardless of their dire performance. That's capitalism for you! :banghead: