Large Generator Stolen at Newbury (K&A)

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

A fellow boater had his large generator stolen out of his bow at Newbury yesterday - moored between Greenham Lock and the pedestrian footbridge to Greenham Island boat services. The fact that they left their boat for only 45 minutes to pick up their grandchildren and return suggests a certain amount of premeditation and observation was involved.

The generator was a true monster Honda, 10Kw or similar, with a propane conversion and the owner claims it would take at least two adults to lift it. It was contained in a shabby old looking box on the deck and bolt-cutters were used to separate it from its chain.

-----

We really like Newbury and have moored here a couple of times this summer. But in a year's cruising now (GU, Thames, K&A) this is the only place we've had stuff nicked off the boat - silly stuff like a solar light poking out of the herb garden and three tennis balls cut to fit the mooring pin tops. On a different visit another couple had their pot plants and boat poles taken off the cabin roof overnight.

So, if you're in the neighbourhood, keep an eye out.

We really like Newbury and have moored here a couple of times this summer. But in a year's cruising now (GU, Thames, K&A) this is the only place we've had stuff nicked off the boat - silly stuff like a solar light poking out of the herb garden and three tennis balls cut to fit the mooring pin tops. On a different visit another couple had their pot plants and boat poles taken off the cabin roof overnight.

Not much consolation, but these can be removed by passing dogs!

Ours will try it on with these, if not closely watched, and we have had a couple go missing.

Mind you, if all three went at once, this explanation is probably unlikely!

Probably famous last words, but other than these, we have had nothing nicked. When items of towpath or navigating gear go missing on Chalice, it's usually because we have left them on the bank, or somebody contrived to drop them in. :blush:

Not much consolation, but these can be removed by passing dogs!

Ours will try it on with these, if not closely watched, and we have had a couple go missing.

Mind you, if all three went at once, this explanation is probably unlikely!

Probably famous last words, but other than these, we have had nothing nicked. When items of towpath or navigating gear go missing on Chalice, it's usually because we have left them on the bank, or somebody contrived to drop them in. :blush:

Ho ho. Yes, I thought of this. But I cut all the balls with small holes and they were a bugger to 'screw' on. But, then, some dogs like a challenge.

Someone fed up with the noise perhaps?

Sue

They were pretty considerate.

UPDATE: The police visited their boat this morning to take details etc - taking it quite seriously. (Interestingly, they indicated the theft wouldn't have been taken quite as seriously if it had been nicked from the towpath rather than the bow.)

... And apparently some ID was left behind by the thieves! Nice one.

They were pretty considerate.

UPDATE: The police visited their boat this morning to take details etc - taking it quite seriously. (Interestingly, they indicated the theft wouldn't have been taken quite as seriously if it had been nicked from the towpath rather than the bow.)

... And apparently some ID was left behind by the thieves! Nice one.

Hope they left their driving licence behind. Come to think of it, where did I leave mine

:help:

Edited by Laurie.Booth

A fellow boater had his large generator stolen out of his bow at Newbury yesterday - moored between Greenham Lock and the pedestrian footbridge to Greenham Island boat services. The fact that they left their boat for only 45 minutes to pick up their grandchildren and return suggests a certain amount of premeditation and observation was involved.

The generator was a true monster Honda, 10Kw or similar, with a propane conversion and the owner claims it would take at least two adults to lift it. It was contained in a shabby old looking box on the deck and bolt-cutters were used to separate it from its chain.

-----

So, if you're in the neighbourhood, keep an eye out.

Jim,

Thanks for posting this. It's useful to be aware of problems in Newbury. Which are rather common I'm afraid. There's a long history of hassle at Newbury. It's mostly petty vandalism and boat untying rather than serious theft. This year appears to have been better but perhaps I'm just not getting reports.

There's a lot of 'passing trade' at Newbury which seems to cause many of the problems. But, as you say, this sounds targeted.

Please let me know if is any further news on this crime. I may write (again) to the local police about their coverage of the towpath. This theft illustrates that the problem is rather more than stupid kids.

Rob Dean

Chairman, Newbury Branch

Kennet & Avon Canal Trust