Rylards Blacking Options

Featured Posts

We are about to give Chalice a long overdue blacking.

It is in bitumen, (well was!), but I was not impressed with the results with Intertuf last time.

The boatyard sells Rylards products, so this is probably easiest - anything else will see me driving around the country.

I note many people have advocated an approach with a mixture of Premium and Rytex, typically using Premium for a first coat, as it brushes and fills pits easier, then a coat of the (apparently) much thicker Rytex, but finally back to Premium, for a less matt effect, and (allegedly) better protection against diesel spills.

However, others have said Rytex should not be used in a "sandwich", and the engineer at the yard reckons Premium is rubbish compared to Rytex.

So what have people done with Rylards products, and how successful has it been, please ?

I'm only interested in protection, (and longevity) - I really don't care if the end result is glossy or not.

Also how much relative use would you make of brush and roller, please ?

We are about to give Chalice a long overdue blacking.

It is in bitumen, (well was!), but I was not impressed with the results with Intertuf last time.

The boatyard sells Rylards products, so this is probably easiest - anything else will see me driving around the country.

I note many people have advocated an approach with a mixture of Premium and Rytex, typically using Premium for a first coat, as it brushes and fills pits easier, then a coat of the (apparently) much thicker Rytex, but finally back to Premium, for a less matt effect, and (allegedly) better protection against diesel spills.

However, others have said Rytex should not be used in a "sandwich", and the engineer at the yard reckons Premium is rubbish compared to Rytex.

So what have people done with Rylards products, and how successful has it been, please ?

I'm only interested in protection, (and longevity) - I really don't care if the end result is glossy or not.

Also how much relative use would you make of brush and roller, please ?

Always done ours with 3 coats rytex. This time the yard did it and used the premium-rytex-premium routine. All seems to be well with this system so far. I have found Rylards products to be good, and the hull is wearing very well (blacked every two years.)

Always used a lambswool roller personally. Bin it each night.

Edited by Guest

Always done ours with 3 coats rytex.

Thanks,

Have you had any issues getting the first coat fully applied into any pitting, (perhaps you don't have any pitting!).

Have you ever needed to thin and/or heat Rytex, as some suggest, please ?

We use Rytex, I rub the surface of old Rytex with a rag dipped in white spirit to reactivate it and give it a key. Thinning with white spirit for the first coat does let it go into nooks and crannies easier, followed by the lovely full strength/thickness stuff. Much prefer it to Intertuf though we do use that for our water tank.