BSS for new boats

Junemc153

Featured Posts

Can somebody tell me if it is o.k. for a boat builder to issue a BSS for a boat that they have just completed?

I know of a recent case where a boat builder issued a BSS and then within a couple of months it turned out that the electrical wiring hadn't been completed properly (not earthed, inverter not wired in/sited properly) and had to be completely re-done. The boat builder had passed the electrics off as being safe but they certainly weren't. Surely BSS should be issued independently before the boat can be taken by the new owners?

Can somebody tell me if it is o.k. for a boat builder to issue a BSS for a boat that they have just completed?

I know of a recent case where a boat builder issued a BSS and then within a couple of months it turned out that the electrical wiring hadn't been completed properly (not earthed, inverter not wired in/sited properly) and had to be completely re-done. The boat builder had passed the electrics off as being safe but they certainly weren't. Surely BSS should be issued independently before the boat can be taken by the new owners?

A new boat built by a boat builder should have a CE mark, built to RCD standards, which covers the first 4 years before a BSS is needed. In the past, because of discrepancies between the RCD and BSS, many people insisted on their new boat also being issued with a BSS from new.

I was surprised to learn yesterday that a new boat all ce'd and rcd'd would not necessarily pass a bss examination, and purchasers should request that the new build also comply with bss requirements - thus avoiding disappointment 4 years hence! Strikes me the system is a bit wrong somewhere!

I was surprised to learn yesterday that a new boat all ce'd and rcd'd would not necessarily pass a bss examination, and purchasers should request that the new build also comply with bss requirements - thus avoiding disappointment 4 years hence! Strikes me the system is a bit wrong somewhere!

NB Earnest (one of the first NB's with a CE mark) would not have passed BSS exam, even though I specified it should also pass BSS. I ended up doing the mods / missing things myself. Such things as isolation switches in the wrong place and missing warning labels.

With our last NB Beatty (one of the first NB's supplied new with a BSC), I got sick of having to alter things for each BSS, as it "evolved".

A new boat built by a boat builder should have a CE mark, built to RCD standards, which covers the first 4 years before a BSS is needed. In the past, because of discrepancies between the RCD and BSS, many people insisted on their new boat also being issued with a BSS from new.

I agree I think new boats should be supplied with an independent BSC I certainly would not buy a new boat now without having it checked before I made and final payment and any faults rectified. I have just had my first BSC done (last week) and it passed but before I took down I did check myself and the only thing I could find was a chain foor gas bottle so fitted this before examination. The examiner did give me some valuable tips of things I might do that are not covered by BSC very useful!!

I'm wondering if you mean the decleration of compliance with the RCD rather than a BSS as new boats have to have this and yes builders can and indeed do self declare compliance.

Some would say it's an avenue that could be abused.

...it turned out that the electrical wiring hadn't been completed properly (not earthed, inverter not wired in/sited properly) and had to be completely re-done....

Would the BSS actually spot this? I don't think it would if you look through the BSS guide, if its not described in there then they won't check it/fail it.

Would the BSS actually spot this? I don't think it would if you look through the BSS guide, if its not described in there then they won't check it/fail it.

I don't know but I think a check of compliance with the RCD would which is why I'm thinking that is what the OP is actually refering to.

• 1 month later...

There is no specific requirement in the BSS for an earth, and as examiners are not allowed to test any electrical equipment, they would not spot the lack of one. However, there may well be some change in this direction in the next year or so.