Cratch restoration

Evo

Featured Posts

I remember Phil talking about this once and I believe I have it right that his advice would be, once you've done what you describe with the maroon and green, to then mask off and paint the 4 cream diamonds. That way you'll have no 'step' at the edge of the paint, and you'll have a smooth surface to varnish.

If you didn't already know, paint up to masked edges with a pretty dry brush for the first coat, and then heavier with the second coat. That way the first coat tends to seal the edges of the masking tape and avoid bleed.

Tony

I'm not good enough with a brush...in fact I am completely useless with a brush, everytime I've used a brush its crap. So I wont be brushing anything. I use a 4" short soft bristle roller..(the type they sell for varnish in BandQ). I painted the whole boat with one last year and it came out pretty good with the right conditions. I've used that Silkens paint is it..?? cheaper than the other stuff. The 3 colours incidently are the 3 colours from the rest of the boat.

I will only be applying enough paint for coverage....probably 2 very thin coats, I'm not bothered about a few thou step down for the cream, the whole lot will be varnished over anyway.

Thanks for advice Tony, the lining tape I use does not allow bleeding. Its not sticky as such, its more of a vinyl and as you apply it you can see through it and see the change in shade as it 'adheres' to the surface. The rollering leaves a perfect flat smooth surface, if sometimes not as shiny as brushing, but as you can imagine perfect for a quick blast over each colour in this case. .....I hope

Edited by Evo

... the lining tape I use does not allow bleeding. Its not sticky as such, its more of a vinyl and as you apply it you can see through it and see the change in shade as it 'adheres' to the surface.

That sounds like interesting stuff - where does one obtain some?

T :)

This is the actual tape I use, not sure if they still do this stuff as I've had it years from car/bike spraying days. Last night I bought some off Ebay though...search for "fine line tape" or "fineline tape"

8193_12.JPG

The painting - first coat of red and green....just second coat, pull lining tape, and varnish now.

well chuffed with it so far, finish is excellent (better than in pic).

pat-lined.JPG

pat-red.JPG

pat-first.JPG

ediyed to add final pic of paint...debating wether to varnish or not,,,its so shiny i cant get a decent pic

in the kitchen at night, flash keeps going off and making the finish look blotchy speckly and basically crap, its not, its actually quite impressive :blush: The colours are funny looking too, but you get the idea.

Pat-fin.JPG

Edited by Evo