Shower Drain Pump Misbehaving

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Happy New Year.

Our shower and wash basin gravity drain to a small open tank beneath the boards in the engine room. The automatic pump (with a float type switch) appears to have packed up.

When the power to it is switched on the circuit breaker switch stays in position for a second or two then trips off.

Is there anything I should be checking before I have a new one fitted.

Thanks,

Trevor.

Hi Trevor.

The most likely cause is that the pump impeller has been choked up. Shower drains are always a problem, human hair is very durable stuff I am sure you will find that is either bunging up any filters or has got itself wound around the rotary bit of the pump, as the rotation of the pump has been restricted it is almost certain to be the latter.

Assuming it is a bilge type pump the bottom section can be easily un-clipped and removed for access.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi Trevor.

The most likely cause is that the pump impeller has been choked up. Shower drains are always a problem, human hair is very durable stuff I am sure you will find that is either bunging up any filters or has got itself wound around the rotary bit of the pump, as the rotation of the pump has been restricted it is almost certain to be the latter.

Assuming it is a bilge type pump the bottom section can be easily un-clipped and removed for access.

Thanks for that John - I'll try it.

Would that account for the switch "tripping"?

Cheers,

Ttrevor.

If its a "gulper" type pump, the entire head can be removed by undoing the 2 screws in the collar at the end of the pump, should be easy to unblock it then.

Stuart,

Sorry to be ignorant (but I am) only I haven't a clue what a gulper type pump is. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks,

Trevor.

Sorry to be ignorant (but I am) only I haven't a clue what a gulper type pump is. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks,

Trevor.

A gulper is a diaphram type pump made by Whale. I belive gulper is a brand/trademark of theres.

They are mainly used for "dirty" water pumps for showers and bilges.

Have a look at

Stu.http://www.whalepumps.com/news/17/