Reducing shaft size on a prop.

Jacq

Featured Posts

I have found a secondhand prop i wish to use,but its a 2.5" shaft size and i need it to be 2".Has anyone used a shim ,machined to fit in the keyway ,to reduce the shaft size?

Is this a reliable method?

Cheers.

I have found a secondhand prop i wish to use,but its a 2.5" shaft size and i need it to be 2".Has anyone used a shim ,machined to fit in the keyway ,to reduce the shaft size?

Is this a reliable method?

Cheers.

It's a very tricky one to get right. Yes it's been done, but boring out and bushing the prop makes a better job.

Tim

My shaft was 2" and presumably using a lathe reduced down to 1.5". Had a keyway block that sat in a recess in the shaft.

Mike

Taking metal off is straightforward. Filling gaps is harder, especially on a taper.

Tm

I agree that getting this one right is very tricky, just a thought on another way?, what involved in upping existing shaft to 2.5 ins, I guess new stern bearing assembly, and presumably change to drive coupling? Cost I guess, but then machining a highly accurate reducer is gonna cost heaps too, just a thought.

Yes, we too got a cheapy off ebay and had a stainless steel sleave made, only cost us £10 and works perfectly well. It's shown on my blog somewhere but too much to trawl through to find a piccy of it.

Casp'

Thanks , I will have a look at the blog.