Rochdale or the Calder

geewalt1

Featured Posts

Hi,

we're 3 gents who have decided to do a Fri-Mon canal boat trip to celebrate hitting the 40 years young milestone. This will be the first time for any of us and we're seeking advice on the best canal route to follow.

We're booked through Shirecruisers and we have the choice of following the Rochdale upto lock 19 or to follow the Calder & Hebble to Shepley Bridge. The boat will be heading out of Sowerby Bridge and I believe we're booked out on the 'Stafford'.

We will obviously be seeking a few liquid refreshments in local pubs but at the sametime we want to take in the scenery.

I've read up on both canals and can't really decide which one is best but do slightly favour the Rochdale canal.

Any advice from regular boaters will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I was faced with the same choice in 2005 when I hired from Shire, and went to Hebden Bridge - nice route and I think a touch more scenic, with good food and drink to be had at Hebden Bridge, and you have the fun of Tuel Lock which is quite an experience. Enjoy. I have since been back over both routes in my own boat last summer and enjoyed the stretch above Sowerby more.

Edited by Matthew Dowson

The Rochdale, without a doubt!

We've done it several times from Shire Cruisers (Devon/Sussex) and thoroughly enjoyed each and every trip.

The scenery is fabulous, as are the pubs en-route!

As Matthew said, Tuel Lane is quite an experience, and not to be missed.

It is a heavily locked canal, but that's all part of the fun!

Susan at Shire Cruisers is an absolute star when it comes to planning holidays, although I rather think she loses the will to live when she sees us! She'll give you all the advice you need before you set off.

Janet

I was faced with the same choice in 2005 when I hired from Shire, and went to Hebden Bridge - nice route and I think a touch more scenic, with good food and drink to be had at Hebden Bridge, and you have the fun of Tuel Lock which is quite an experience. Enjoy. I have since been back over both routes in my own boat last summer.

I am 36 and done the hire boat thing from shire cruises myself, i now own and live on one, i passed sowerby bridge about 4 weeks ago, major problems from shire cruise boat place heading towards hebden bridge way although i would prefer that route myself, we waited for a day at tuel lane cos of lack of water and when they let us through it was locked up for about a week after, there is lot of water shortage problems that way and your most likely going to be told by shire cruises to go the other way, its nice that way too, brighouse is fine the barge pub is preety good, there is a pub at shepley bridge at the otherside of the bridge called the ship inn, cheap food(not that great but good for price i suppose) last time i was in it was £2.15 for carling cold...or you will pass a lidl right at side of the canal about 400 yards before you get to sheply bridge...and you could stop there and there is a few more pubs there too, the navigation is good..

If you need some more info i would be glad to help, i am from huddersfield so i know the area very well..

i passed sowerby bridge about 4 weeks ago, major problems from shire cruise boat place heading towards hebden bridge way although i would prefer that route myself, we waited for a day at tuel lane cos of lack of water and when they let us through it was locked up for about a week after, there is lot of water shortage problems that way and your most likely going to be told by shire cruises to go the other way

The problems at Tuel Lane lock have now been sorted with the installation of back-pumping, so there should be no reason why Geewalt can't get up to Hebden Bridge or Todmorden. The scenery is far better heading up that way!

We went through Tuel lane a few days ago and all is fine, no water shortages within 3 days of Sowerbey Bridge. We met lots of Shire cruisers on the Rochdale last week, some up as far as lock 33 in one week round trip so you should have no problems.

Peter.

Ok it looks like the Rochdale canal. Any pubs you can recommend for food and real ale on route?

nope at 36 retired and living on a narrowboat with the wife 1 dog and 1 cat, we stay out of them, otherwise i might have to work again, lol...so choice is no pub or work, nice lidl in todmorden heehee...

nope at 36 retired and living on a narrowboat with the wife 1 dog and 1 cat, we stay out of them, otherwise i might have to work again, lol...so choice is no pub or work, nice lidl in todmorden heehee...

Cheers Scooby...you made it so much better for me at work today.