transport options for a butty

dogberry

Featured Posts

Hallo. After five years of thinking and planning, I've just bought a boat - a 47' butty. I'm thrilled, but the time is coming when it will have to be shifted somewhere. I'd hoped to find an affordable mooring near where it is (between Bristol and Bath), and while moorings are available, definitions of affordable differ somewhat... It would be possible, but while I'm noodling around with numbers, I was wondering this -

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to get a butty from point A to point B, assuming you know no one? As far as I can determine, my options are outboard (what do I attach it to?), having it hauled and transported, and making friends with someone with an engine who's going where I want to go (or thereabouts).

I have tried to search this, and I will be very ashamed and embarrassed and apologetic if there's a thread on this sort of thing already. Sorry...

And now I will go and introduce myself in the proper place.

Hallo. After five years of thinking and planning, I've just bought a boat - a 47' butty. I'm thrilled, but the time is coming when it will have to be shifted somewhere. I'd hoped to find an affordable mooring near where it is (between Bristol and Bath), and while moorings are available, definitions of affordable differ somewhat... It would be possible, but while I'm noodling around with numbers, I was wondering this -

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to get a butty from point A to point B, assuming you know no one? As far as I can determine, my options are outboard (what do I attach it to?), having it hauled and transported, and making friends with someone with an engine who's going where I want to go (or thereabouts).

I have tried to search this, and I will be very ashamed and embarrassed and apologetic if there's a thread on this sort of thing already. Sorry...

And now I will go and introduce myself in the proper place.

How far away is 'near'? If it wasn't that far away then I'm sure that it could either be hauled (lot's of effort) or for the cost of a couple of pints I'm sure that there are many boaters who'd give you a tow.

Make a sign 'Butty needs a tow' and stand on the cabin with it on a sunny Saturday?

Ive only had the boat dragged by randomers a few times, and only for a few miles, but this does work. If i passed that and wasnt pushing for a particular time i would jump on it. Infact if it was a lock free or broad canal i would jump on it anyway.

Daniel

I met a couple with a butty many years ago travelling around the system relying on tows

no hurry to get anywhere at any time

they had a great time, I actually towed them several times at different points of their journey over a couple of years

:lol:

Thanks, everybody! I will have thinks about this and keep an eye out for a cheap outboard (while bearing in mind all the horror stories I've read on here about how petrol and stupid/careless don't mix well - and I have a lot of stupid, which makes me nervous).

It does seem that it's good and I got a good deal. After five years of having my idea of 'ideal' honed and refined, I'd been sat with a small list of Wants and a very small budget just watching and waiting - and this came up at a time when I'm going to be needing to move anyway, so I couldn't pounce fast enough. Touch wood it's all as good as it seems - the owner is lovely as well, and this is the kindest and gentlest trial by fire I've ever experienced (so far!).