Liverpool Old Dock

Josher

Featured Posts

Old Dock Experience attracts 1,000 visitors

Will put this on my list the next time I visit the pool ...

Place North West.

whats happening - I'll be in lpool in august (wigan water permitting) I sailed out of lpool as an alfred holts officer, for 12 years and have fond memories of lpool. What exactly is the old dock have they found a gang of dockers still working the welt.

ken on nb sixpence

Hi Ken,

No dockers - just walls! I will call in at some point so at the moment I can't give you any more information other than what it says in the article. It is good that the developer took the time and trouble to preserve this key part of Liverpool's heritage though.

liverpool_old_dock.jpg

whats happening - I'll be in lpool in august (wigan water permitting) I sailed out of lpool as an alfred holts officer, for 12 years and have fond memories of lpool. What exactly is the old dock have they found a gang of dockers still working the welt.

ken on nb sixpence

Do you have a Blue Flue?

Howard

Hi Ken,

No dockers - just walls! I will call in at some point so at the moment I can't give you any more information other than what it says in the article. It is good that the developer took the time and trouble to preserve this key part of Liverpool's heritage though.

liverpool_old_dock.jpg

The Old Dock, as it became known, was Liverpool's first dock, built by Thomas Steers and opened about 1715. It was filled in around 1810 and the site used for the Custom House, and later for the Law Courts. Steers is one of our most important canal engineers as he built the first summit level canal in Britain, the Newry Canal, using ground paddles, the first time they had been used in Britain. e was engineer for the Douglas Navigation, the Mersey & Irwell Navigation, was almost certainly involved with the Weaver Navigation, and surveyed the Calder & Hebble Navigation and the Boyne Navigation, besides training Henry Berry, who built the Sankey Navigation.

• 4 weeks later...

P2280073.jpg

P2280071.jpg

i probably posted these before but cant find them , this is the lock leading to the dock under liverpool one , manchester dock i think it was called and the lock was close to mann island just where the tunnel on the link goes under the new museum.