Identify this altenator

David

Featured Posts

Hi

My altenator appears to have died sometime this morning whilst we had the engine running, when I stopped the engine by cutting off the diesel supply as usual the ignition warning buzzer did not buzz and the ignition light was not on, they and the ignition key and volt/ampmeter are hidden in a cuboard so not on open view, on restarting the engine found the buzzer was making a very faint noise and the ignition light stayed on flickering slightly. To cut short found the altenator was giving out approx 1.6volts using multimeter.

This was on the boat when we bought it and I have no reason to believe it's not the original fitting so is possibly from around 1994.

So off to a local auto electrical to see if it is repairable later, but as there are no identity lables etc I would like to know exactly what it is so if I have to I can shop around for a replacement

SDC10287.jpg

SDC10288.jpg

SDC10289.jpg

david

Hi

Yes the green wire is for the Adverc, have had similar fitted on my previous boats, something to do with altering the conections needed on certain types of altenator.

The Black regulator looks like a Bosch, but doing a internet search for A127's to see if I could identify from maybe a picture I came on a site ( http://www.qxcomponents.co.uk/tech.pdf ) with two pictures side by side one with the metal type regulator identified as a 127 and the other with the black plastic regulator as a Bosch, but the casing of the 127 looks more like mine than the Bosch one, so wondering if someone has fitted a Bosch regulator.

david

The regulators are not interchangeable. Alts come in all sorts of shapes and sizes but with a fair bit of commonality. It looks as though your alt could be replaced with an A127; its a case of ensuring that the lugs for fixing and adjusting will line up OK. The handy thing about the A127 is that you can get the regs of Ebay for just over a fiver with the extra wire already soldered in. Th A127 come in different ampages from 50 to 80 so make sure you get the higher 70/80 amp one. They are about 50 quid on Ebay but Wood Autos and Middletons in Manchester are highly rated on here.

Hi

My altenator appears to have died sometime this morning whilst we had the engine running, when I stopped the engine by cutting off the diesel supply as usual the ignition warning buzzer did not buzz and the ignition light was not on, they and the ignition key and volt/ampmeter are hidden in a cuboard so not on open view, on restarting the engine found the buzzer was making a very faint noise and the ignition light stayed on flickering slightly. To cut short found the altenator was giving out approx 1.6volts using multimeter.

This was on the boat when we bought it and I have no reason to believe it's not the original fitting so is possibly from around 1994.

So off to a local auto electrical to see if it is repairable later, but as there are no identity lables etc I would like to know exactly what it is so if I have to I can shop around for a replacement

david

It's a Bosch of the type fitted to Fords, BMW's and a few others in the eighties.

Probably the brushes have worn out but they are still available either by themselves or with the brush box. However at this stage the slip rings (can be seen when the brush box is removed) will probably be badly grooved, if this is the case get a new one...

I can’t be absolutely sure but I think the part number is 0120 469 512 or 513.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Arnot

hi

many thanks to all, local auto electricals say it is a early Bosch so Arnot got it spot on, they are going to test it for me and then we can decide what to do so may be following up the Ebay route.

david

hi

many thanks to all, local auto electricals say it is a early Bosch so Arnot got it spot on, they are going to test it for me and then we can decide what to do so may be following up the Ebay route.

david

These people are worth trying:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A127-MARINE-12v-ALTE...=item45f33d46fd

They can usually supply re-conditioned machines by return post. I have used them for altrnators and regulators - very eficient and keenly priced