Take Three Brokerages

Featured Posts

I had similar treatment at site 3 (!) and vowed never to deal with them again - I was told that I could not go on a test run until I had an offer accepted to buy the boat - and why would you offer to buy a boat when you have not steered it!!

But when Marcellus came up, it was at their branch at Wigrams - the whole approach was different and I was made to feel much more 'wanted'. It's a much smaller set up of course, but I left feeling very happy with the service I had received. The boat had been moved from the site by the M1 to Wigrams and had run out of fuel on the way - they naturally replaced the fuel filters, but also put in a whole tank of diesel; I was expecting just enough to get me to the next filling station!

I've visited all the brokerages you mention and more besides, as well as viewing private boats for sale. I think the mistake many people make with brokers is in having expectations - much better to take them on their own merits and demerits.

People who are newer to boats tend to need/desire more hands on treatment - being shown round by someone 'trustworthy and knowledgeable' who can answer questions and stuff. Others may prefer to be left to it to have a good old poke around without prying eyes. I certainly felt at some of the posher brokers that I wasn't allowed to look at everything and in my own time. I don't particularly like that attitude and felt the boats there were priced higher anyway.

However, to buy from a hands-off broker, or private seller, needs either more knowledge or more ability to afford (potentially) multiple surveys. This is the way to get bargains though - if you're looking for a cheaper boat that you can then afford to do some work on. We bought a boat from a seller who needed a quick sale on his not-terribly-well presented boat. He hadn't had time to repaint it, despite having bought every expensive gadget going. He was in a rush too, so agreed to pay for all remedial work within the offer price. I suspect a smarter dealer might not have taken him on in the first place!

In short, I try to avoid judging brokers on their 'quality', and instead to choose the most appropriate one for my purposes :lol: Bargain hunting is better at some, selling your boat at the best price better at others. You pays your money and takes your choice.

NB When buying your first boat it's good to see a high number of boats, and visiting all 3 of those big brokers in the Midlands is a quick way to do just that :lol:

i bought two boats from whilton and sold 1 through whilton.

both sales were ok ish.... apart from when i bought a boat up for a reasonable 29k for 22k, the day the cheque cleared i went to pick it up and they charged me for the weeks mooring while it was clearing!!! i argued but in all fairness not very hard as i just wanted to be on my way.

selling a boat is a different story, within 1 week i had a call from them with a "offer" i accepted they said he would pay at the end of the month and took a deposit, at the time i was low on money so banked on it selling, end of the month came and went, called for a update and they never got back to me, on the 8th i rang them and asked what had happened and they said they couldnt get hold of him so put it back for sale, i was that hard for money i asked how much they would pay and they offered 9k of my asking price (32k) i had to accept and they promiced to get me a cheque within a day.

day 1 no cheque

day 2 no cheque

day 3 i had to pick the cheque up

day 4 the boat was marked as sold on their website!!!!!!

god knows what they made, but looking back at it i wish i was slightly older and wiser (i was 19 at the time) and done somthing about it or not got myself in money problems

That said, if ever you wanted to find a boat and look around boats to see if they are for you then Whilton is the place to go, if you can look past some of the poorly presented boats then you could find a corker.

Interesting because the boat we have purchased is going to be there for a few weeks and they were happy to offer free mooring for the interim period till we get her moved. In fact they have gone the extra mile by purchasing several bits of kit on my behalf and putting them on the boat for us, saved me postage/carriage and a lot of hassle.

I would not hesitate in recommending Whilton as a brokerage.

Phil

We sold our previous boat through Whilton. Expecting it to take a few month's to sell and needing the funds to finance the current one that was being built, I phoned around a few brokerages, explaining what we had to sell and the price that I had in mind. I'd done my homework on pricing first, so had an idea of what the boat was worth. The upshot was that the boat went to Whilton on a Saturday, before the week was out they called to say they had a buyer and withn 10 days we had payment in full. They did us a special low commission rate as well as they had recently sold a similar spec boat and had a couple of disappointed customers who I guess they were pretty sure they would sell the boat to.

Kevin

When the wife and I finally sell this lump of bricks and start our new life living on the water I know we will be heading south to look at the three brokers that have been mentioned on here,I have heard good and bad reports about all three which I will have to take on board when we actually travel down to have a look.I will also be looking around brokers up this end of the country also,and one never knows our dream home could be 10 days cruising away or just around the corner,but which ever it is I will enjoy the whole process.................................even the sleepless nights

We sold our previous boat through Whilton. Expecting it to take a few month's to sell and needing the funds to finance the current one that was being built, I phoned around a few brokerages, explaining what we had to sell and the price that I had in mind. I'd done my homework on pricing first, so had an idea of what the boat was worth. The upshot was that the boat went to Whilton on a Saturday, before the week was out they called to say they had a buyer and withn 10 days we had payment in full. They did us a special low commission rate as well as they had recently sold a similar spec boat and had a couple of disappointed customers who I guess they were pretty sure they would sell the boat to.

Kevin

There is a boat on their web site currently which we looked at this time last year....

I can understand why some people prefer to be handed a set of keys and trawl through a boat or three unaccompanied. But bear in mind that a broker is appointed by the owner as their agent. I regard it as fundamental duty of care to ensure that a viewing is accompanied. It can also be very helpful to the viewer, providing the person accompanying them has an understanding of boats. If there is genuine interest then I would always allow the viewer some time on their own to look around further; it is a matter of balance and judgement.

theres one still there that I viewed two years ago, and it was full of cobwebs then!!

However, there were two there that appealed, but as I just walked around and looked, didn't really click, perhaps because there was no one around to start the engine for me, or point out the real appeal and why I should buy.

As a first time buyer (although with a sensible and researched background) I found one of the other ones far more specific in their recommendations, looked at a few, and then requested to see more, as their sales pamphlets were far superior and gave lots of useful information.

I asked to look at a boat at an outlying marina, I liked its simple lines,when I asked the marina staff if they could start the engine up, they all appeared......looked through the very precise instructions, and started her up.

The looks on their faces(probably mine too), along with the noise, sold the boat.!

ABNB