I'll Name That Alternator in 3......

Featured Posts

I'm told there are some clever auto or marine electricians out there who'll be able to help on this.

My boat has a Lucas alternator, but no identification I can see on it whatsoever, (it was painted green all over, presumably when the engine it's fitted to was marinised in 1995-ish). This may have obliterated previous markings.

Can anyone tell me from the pics what it's likely to be please, (sorry about picture quality - not a lot of room, plus it was getting dark rapidly).

Link to pic of slightly front view

Link to pic of side view

Link to pic of rear view

It has 3 spade terminals (2 big ones, one small) in the main connector area, plus a further spade on the back across on the other side, (unfortunately hidden by the throttle cable parts in the picture of the rear view, but possible to see where it is - just - in the side view). Only one of the large spades and the small spade in the main connector area have any wire going to them. There are no other connections to the alternator at all, (other than via it's body mounting to the engine). (The blue wire that can be seen in the same loom is not related to the alternator).

Any idea of the rated output, and whether it can be made to drive a rev counter please ?

Edited by alan_fincher

After five months, and 80+ posts, i beleave you should be a full member by now.

- I think i would PM jon to see if your status is right (i think there was a big of hic-up a few months back)

In the mean, time, ive bunged them all on imageshack for you.

439989ww.jpg

405924xa.jpg

439989ev.jpg

641167us.jpg

Daniel

In the mean, time, ive bunged them all on imageshack for you.

Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks - it's a shame you can't use the tag for stuff in the Gallery, but you can't it seems.

Not sure why it's not allowed - Perhaps you know?

Sorry alan, I can't see your pics due to being a provisional member. If you can post a pic here I will certainly identify it for you.

Do you have two threaded stud terminals in addition to the spades you mention? (marked B+ and W).

Snibble,

You're the very man recommended to me as possibly going to know - so thanks for replying.

I hope you can now see images, as moved by Daniel ?

No, I don't think there are any terminals that are not Lucar spade type.

I don't see any markings on any of my connections. If there were some, they got sprayed over, and trying to scrape the paint away, (as I tried on the Lucas label), brings everything off, so little chance of exposing anything that might be under the paint, I think.

I'm kinda guessing this is the original veheicle alternator, and that the marinisers (Calcutt) didn't change it for one more suited to marine use ? - Or am I wrong ??

Cheers Dhutch. My member status is down to me not having an e-mail address to recieve my membership confirmation on, I don't find it a problem, so what the hell!

Alan, this is an A115 alternator, output is rated at 45A. These units sometimes have a rev counter terminal but yours does not. If you remove the plastic cover on the back and identify the three phase leads from the stator soldered onto the rectifier you can connect to any one of these to drive your rev counter.

Thanks - it's a shame you can't use the tag for stuff in the Gallery, but you can't it seems.

- Not sure why it's not allowed - Perhaps you know?

You can use tags with images posted in the gallery (in IE, just right click on it, and "copy shortcut")

- Then use that.

Its just that is frowned apon becuase it uses a lot of bandwidth, which is the single greatest cost of running a forum.

Daniel

Cheers Dhutch. My member status is down to me not having an e-mail address to recieve my membership confirmation on, I don't find it a problem, so what the hell!

Alan, this is an A115 alternator, output is rated at 45A. These units sometimes have a rev counter terminal but yours does not. If you remove the plastic cover on the back and identify the three phase leads from the stator soldered onto the rectifier you can connect to any one of these to drive your rev counter.

Excellent, Snibble, thanks.....

They said you would know !