Cracking windows, Gromit?

Featured Posts

Had new windows fitted in January. Today noticed hundreds of fine cracks in all the window frames on one side of the boat - the side that faces the sun most of the day. The weird thing is the cracks only appear when viewed at an angle. Pics below. Viewed straight on they disappear entirely! There are also small but similar cracks around most of the screw heads.

Can anyone explain and suggest what, if anything, I should/could do about it?

(and yes, I know I could turn the boat round, but am wondering whether it's some sort of refracted light effect picking up faults in the thin frame coating, hence only seeing the cracks at an angle and in sunlight....and that the ones on the other (shady) side might have them too though I couldn't see any.

Paul

25042010720.jpg

25042010721.jpg

25042010722.jpg

25042010723.jpg

Had new windows fitted in January. Today noticed hundreds of fine cracks in all the window frames on one side of the boat - the side that faces the sun most of the day. The weird thing is the cracks only appear when viewed at an angle. Pics below. Viewed straight on they disappear entirely! There are also small but similar cracks around most of the screw heads.

Can anyone explain and suggest what, if anything, I should/could do about it?

(and yes, I know I could turn the boat round, but am wondering whether it's some sort of refracted light effect picking up faults in the thin frame coating, hence only seeing the cracks at an angle and in sunlight....and that the ones on the other (shady) side might have them too though I couldn't see any.

Paul

Laquer craze looking at the piccies. I don't think there is much you can do with it other than stripping the frames off and re-finishing.

I don't think its a major problem, i've seen it a few times. Best to keep an eye on it though.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Laquer craze looking at the piccies. I don't think there is much you can do with it other than stripping the frames off and re-finishing.

I don't think its a major problem, i've seen it a few times. Best to keep an eye on it though.

If they're new then they should be pristine....I'd kick up a fuss!

I have to admit, if it was a second hand boat i was looking at buying that was 15years old or so, i wouldnt be overly bothered, certainly its only aesthetics i would say.

However, unless really dont mind it lookng like that, i have to say, i would be onto them first thing tomorrow about geting it sorted.

What you define sorted as it upto you, and its up to debate between you and the company, and what you think is acceptable.

- They could take them away, refinish them, or re make them, and refit. If you where happy it was a one off issue (do some research)

- You could demand a full refund if it transpires this is common with this manufacture and you dont want the same again (see above)

- An agrement could be formed, where by forinstance, you got a 60% refund and kept the 'defective' windows. (if you can put up with it, knowing you made a saving) etc.

Thats just a brain dump of a few ideas. But when facing this sort of thing. Come up with what would be you idea outcome, and what other options you might comprmise on, before making the call. Otherwise it will far more often go there way.

Daniel