Shore power earth turned black

Featured Posts

Decided to get a new shore power lead, while i was changing the plug and socket over i noticed that the earth wire strands had turned black. The positive and neutral wires were fine, the original copper colour.

Does anyone know what would cause this?

wonderdust

Decided to get a new shore power lead, while i was changing the plug and socket over i noticed that the earth wire strands had turned black. The positive and neutral wires were fine, the original copper colour.

Does anyone know what would cause this?

wonderdust

Just moisture? The earth pin'll be the one at the highest point?

It's a bu**er when that happens - the black oxidisation is near impossible to remove and isn't tinnable either...

PC

Just moisture? The earth pin'll be the one at the highest point?

It's a bu**er when that happens - the black oxidisation is near impossible to remove and isn't tinnable either...

PC

Nothing to worry about as PC mentioned moisture is the cause. A case of just chopping off the offending piece and making good. :lol:

Yeah same.

On lighting cabling ive always put the fact that its often the earth down to the fact that other conductors are typically carrying enough that they will be just slightly heated, for the hours and hour they sit about just slightly damp, although i would have said the effect on a narrowboat shoreline would be less so. Because your never (i would expect) going to be any where near 6amps never mind to the point of working out how many lights you can put on it with your phone and then stopping at 16.5amps...

Daniel