Wey & Arun Canal Devil's Hole Lock 17th April 2010

the grinch

Featured Posts

just to remind everyone that we are officially opening the next lock on the Wey & Arun Canal in West Sussex on Saturday 17th April 2010

the pound from Loxwood New Lock to Devil's hole is now fully filled ready for saturday and Eric's team had the back pump running today to trial part fill the pound above.

I had the pleasure of taking our trip boat Zaccariah Keppel up to DH Lock this morning the first motorised boat ever to boat the whole length. this was a trial run to check clearances, timings and heights thankfully all went absolutely perfect and a 40 minute round trip including locking through Loxwood new lock twice, once each way

So come along and give the Wey and Arun Canal Trust support on what hopefully will be a great day.

just to remind everyone that we are officially opening the next lock on the Wey & Arun Canal in West Sussex on Saturday 17th April 2010

the pound from Loxwood New Lock to Devil's hole is now fully filled ready for saturday and Eric's team had the back pump running today to trial part fill the pound above.

I had the pleasure of taking our trip boat Zaccariah Keppel up to DH Lock this morning the first motorised boat ever to boat the whole length. this was a trial run to check clearances, timings and heights thankfully all went absolutely perfect and a 40 minute round trip including locking through Loxwood new lock twice, once each way

So come along and give the Wey and Arun Canal Trust support on what hopefully will be a great day.

How strange! No one on here seems to have viewed this yet since you put it on last night.

Well I have now and rest assured we'll both be there on Saturday!

We do have the odd canal down here in the deep South folks!!

Richard and Nessa

How strange! No one on here seems to have viewed this yet since you put it on last night.

Richard and Nessa

come say hello I've got the job of looking after Loxwood New lock in the afternoon so will be there 1 - 5pm unless Rosie alters the schedule!!

Richard and Nessa

I know, and I have explored most of it on foot (and was paid for so doing!)

Also did the canal bashers three hour trip a few years ago

I will say Hamsterfan, there is canal bashing and there is canal bashing, It's one thing to do a canal for the first time, it's quite another to be the first to navigate it for heaven knows how long!

Gives me hope for the Somerset Coal...

I know, and I have explored most of it on foot (and was paid for so doing!)

Also did the canal bashers three hour trip a few years ago

I will say Hamsterfan, there is canal bashing and there is canal bashing, It's one thing to do a canal for the first time, it's quite another to be the first to navigate it for heaven knows how long!

Gives me hope for the Somerset Coal...

especially when it all happened so spur of the moment, it wasn't a planned trip, Eric our lock restoration manager just said i need the boat up here can you arrange it? 1/2 hour later the boat was up there for him.

i'm sure the SCC will get somewhere in time maybe not all the way but never say it won't. they said the Huddersfield Narrow was the "impossible dream" well those that said have had to eat their words.

wow! what a day

thanks to everyone that came and made the day a huge sucess

despite a few problems with water levels, we worked hard behind the scenes to keep enough water in all the sections for everyone that wanted to go up to devil's hole to do so a total of 16 boats made the trip plus our trip boats Josias Jessop and Zachariah Keppel made 2 trips each so 18 boats up and 18 back down again through Loxwood New Lock careful usage of the back pumping system kept everyone afloat (just !!)

thanks to the forum users who took the time to come and say hello. its nice to put a face to a name.