4 Nights from Middlewich

Pete Glynn

Featured Posts

Family and friends are hiring a narrowboat from Middlewich Narrowboats from midday (ish) Mon 12th Apr to be returned the following Fri AM. Here is our intended hostelries for evening meals and drinks: -

Mon - Barbridge Inn - close to Barbridge Junction

Tue - Cotton Arms - Wrenbury

Wed - The Beeston Castle - Beeston, or possibly The Shady Oak - Tiverton, if time allows, as I know that's highly recommended.

Thu - Middlewich - Suggestions welcome

Has anybody used these recently? Advice, or, alternative recommendations welcome.

Pete

Edited by Pete Glynn

Pete,

I can only comment on the first part of your trip.

Middlewich to Barbridge took me 4 hours singlehanded.

Barbridge to Wrenbury took me 4 hours singlehanded.

Your journeys may take longer if there are more boats on the move.

Both journeys are attractive.

When I arrived in Wrenbury I looked at both pubs. The Cotton Arms was empty; the Dusty Miller full. I went for the Dusty Miller and was brilliantly looked after and well fed. Book a table in the window overlooking the canal if you can.

As you arrive in Wrenbury you will encounter two lift bridges; wind just before the second and moor back by the first.

On the village green is a most useful post office/shop which is open until 2000.

Have a splendid trip.

Geoffrey

Thanks Geoffrey,

Not been in any of these places, picked them purely from info on the internet. I looked at the Dusty Miller, but it looked more "restauranty" and the Cotton Arms looked more "Pubby", which is what we prefer.

Pete

Having sampled both on several occasions, we now always choose to go to the Coton Arms rather than the Dusty Miller. We found it much more friendly ansd "pubby" as you say, with excellent beer, though their food is good too.

Check that the Barbridge is open, it's been struggling lately. Dusty Miller food is good, but I object to paying stupid money for rather ordinary wines (last time I was there, a bottle of "cheap plonk" i.e. £3 in the supermarket was £17).

Thanks for that dor, I'll give them a ring nearer the time. There is also The Jolly Tar as a fallback, but on the internet the Barbridge looks nicer.

And thanks for the comment on the Dusty Miller, we're not wine people anyway, rather have a pint of real ale.

Pete

Edited by Pete Glynn

Thanks Geoffrey,

Not been in any of these places, picked them purely from info on the internet. I looked at the Dusty Miller, but it looked more "restauranty" and the Cotton Arms looked more "Pubby", which is what we prefer.

Pete

They are, indeed, two very different establishments, both good in their own way, although neither is our preferred type of pub.

The Dusty Miller is quite upmarket, with prices to match, and if going in there, you will be wanting to change from your boating clothes.

The Cotton Arms draws a good deal of its trade from its own caravan site at the back, and is very much out of the mould of caravan site pubs, a little tired looking, and pitched very much towards families with teenage children, and concentrating on fizzy beer rather than real ale.