On Line BWB Licences

Oliver

Featured Posts

I used the online service to purchase our BWB licence. Having filled the form in and made the payment on 26 October I was a bit surprised not to be asked for our RCD and Certificate of Insurance.

Received an acknowledging e-mail which didn't ask for any further paperwork. Tried to call to find out if they needed them but no-one on the Help Desk could help, told to speak to the person who dealt with the on-line applications - but could never get through on the phone. After a few days, I assumed that if they wanted them they would have asked.

When our delivery date got delayed I sent an e-mail asking if we could postpone the start date of the licence. Got another acknowledging e-mail.

Rang Customer Services to order the boat handling DVD and asked them to check on the progress of the licence. Was told that they had no record of the payment which really worried me, because the amount had been deducted from my credit card.

Customer services said they would get the licensing people to call back. Today (about a week later) I called back - still couldn't get through to craft licensing. Was told there was still no record of my payment. Eventually, someone from craft licensing called back - yes they did have my payment but they needed a copy of the RCD and Cert of Ins before they could do anything!

Don't know how long it would have taken them to get back to me if I hadn't rung them. I thought I was saving time by doing things online!

If you think communication will be any easier by post, dont get too excited. It took over five weeks and three telephone calls for BW to process my Winter Mooring Application. That included a two week period when the paperwork could not be found, after the cheque had been submitted to the bank. I did eventually get the permit after the commencement of the mooring period.

I was told it was something to do with teething problems in the new computer system, (the new system that was installed a year ago)

I used to take a trip to Norbury to the BW office there and present everything by hand!

It seems like this might have been the best approach, but now of course, the office is closed and BW have centralised their operations in Birmingham.

Talking of which, why did they spend what must have been something approaching a million on extending, re-roofing and refurbishing these offices only to move out?

The buildings have now been empty for well in excess of 6 months and there don't seem to be any takers following up the To Let signs.

Who would want a canalside office in the middle of rural Shropshire, miles away from anywhere anyway?

Anything to do with BW and paperwork is often painfully slow!

A neighbour of mine challenged a hire-boat company for them having apparently out of date licences.

The boats were spotted in July 2004 with licence discs that ran out in August 2003!

The managing director had pointed out that the company had been trying to get new discs out of BW for nearly 10 months and that various excuses had been offered.

The money was actually taken on time - in 2003.

BW had eventually said that they might as well wait until the 2004/5 discs were due and give up on ever receiving those for 2003/4!

Great isn't it!

Sorry for the problems you've been having. We're planning to rewrite the online licensing system in the next few months (so that it can cope with renewals, for example) and expect it to run much more smoothly in the future.

Richard

editor, Waterscape.com

We took all the paperwork in by hand to our nearest BW office.  I reckon it saves the hassle, plus we needed it pronto so we could be allowed into the marina!

She did say thought, that our plates and mooring licence could take weeks to arrive..... :)

Wynd Lass,

Did you have to make an appointment to do this or did you just turn up? Also did they complete it the same day or did you have to come back a second time?

Jon - Fame at last! The editor of Waterscape.com is a member and reads our posts. Perhaps you should add a new topic "Gripes About and Praise for BW" where our moans and thanks can be brought together in the hopes of influencing the powers that be.

Welcome Richard! I hope you enjoy the forum and get something positive from it.

Edited by Paul Evans

I enjoy reading forums like this full of people's boating tales... always makes me wish I was out on the water instead of stuck here in this office. :)

I'm probably not the right person to ask about general BW operational queries - strictly speaking, since I'm an employee of Waterscape Ltd rather than BW itself, I can't make promises on BW's behalf! But will try to help where possible.