BRITISH WATERWAYS - INDEPENDANT AT LAST - BUDGET ANNOUNCEMENT

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

"Streamlining the ALB landscape further

2.4 As a result of further work, the Government can announce additional reforms as follows,

subject to necessary consultation and legislation:

• mutualising British Waterways in England and Wales1 giving the waterways’ users

and the communities that live alongside a greater say in how they are managed

and reducing the long-term public liability by transferring responsibility for

waterways maintenance to the third sector (see Box 2A below);"

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/budget2010...engthbodies.pdf

Now what will happen now?

Edited by Laurence Hogg

"Streamlining the ALB landscape further

2.4 As a result of further work, the Government can announce additional reforms as follows,

subject to necessary consultation and legislation:

• mutualising British Waterways in England and Wales1 giving the waterways’ users

and the communities that live alongside a greater say in how they are managed

and reducing the long-term public liability by transferring responsibility for

waterways maintenance to the third sector (see Box 2A below);"

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/budget2 ... bodies.pdf

Oops! This link appears to be broken.

Two not so positive thoughts spring to mind.

As the Government claims it will be better off, then presumably BWB in its new guise will initially be worse off. If others are expected to fill the financial gap, let alone restore the new BWB's funding level to where it ought to be, then we can expect boating costs to rise more than we would like.

If communities along the canal are to be given a greater say, perhaps some stretches of towpath will become "No Mooring". See recent threads on houseowners trying to prevent boats from mooring opposite or outside their houses.

On the other hand, if funded properly and managed well, there is scope for a huge improvement.

Bob.

Two not so positive thoughts spring to mind.

As the Government claims it will be better off, then presumably BWB in its new guise will initially be worse off. If others are expected to fill the financial gap, let alone restore the new BWB's funding level to where it ought to be, then we can expect boating costs to rise more than we would like.

If communities along the canal are to be given a greater say, perhaps some stretches of towpath will become "No Mooring". See recent threads on houseowners trying to prevent boats from mooring opposite or outside their houses.

On the other hand, if funded properly and managed well, there is scope for a huge improvement.

Bob.

My reading is that BW will no longer exist in the medium to long term and that LA's will foot the maintenance bill

My reading is that BW will no longer exist in the medium to long term and that LA's will foot the maintenance bill

So who will we pay licence fees to? Each LA as you pass through? Or will they be free to council tax payers? Hope so!!

So who will we pay licence fees to? Each LA as you pass through? Or will they be free to council tax payers? Hope so!!

Licence fees will be paid to the charitable trust that replaces BW. However, government simply does not say how the new trust will be financed. My guess is that they hope that LA's will finance the waterways. However, LA's are just as hard up as government and it is difficult to see them investing in on going maintenance. Taxpayers will still pick up the bill.

We have to remember that HM Treasury is more interested in saving £500m than saving the waterways and BW have always said they want to be largely independent of government grant by 2012.........

We also have to remember that BW have allowed the maintenance backlog to grow dramatically since Robin Evans became chief executive and the new charitable trust will have to find £300m to clear it. In theory, that would wipe out most of the value of the non-operational property portfolio that the new trust would have.

Licence fees will be paid to the charitable trust that replaces BW. However, government simply does not say how the new trust will be financed. My guess is that they hope that LA's will finance the waterways. However, LA's are just as hard up as government and it is difficult to see them investing in on going maintenance. Taxpayers will still pick up the bill.

We have to remember that HM Treasury is more interested in saving £500m than saving the waterways and BW have always said they want to be largely independent of government grant by 2012.........

We also have to remember that BW have allowed the maintenance backlog to grow dramatically since Robin Evans became chief executive and the new charitable trust will have to find £300m to clear it. In theory, that would wipe out most of the value of the non-operational property portfolio that the new trust would have.

That makes it clearer, thanks.

I wonder how a person becomes involved with the consultation process for say, for example, setting licence fees. I am quite passionate about 'starter' boats been given access at low cost to the canals as I believe this is how people become 'hooked' and go on to buy and run their own boat and become customers.

I believe that trailboat should be given licences for a nominal fee (as they used to be; £2 a day), and slipways be free for day in/out use (where BW owned). I know many still are free but quite often this is now regarded as BW as 'unofficial' free, ie not locked but you need to get your licence first. I think a £5 licence including a free day launch in/out included may be a way forward. I would gladly pay that on a nice day in summer, whereas £10 a day plus £20 plus for slipways is dear compared to the competition: River Wyre, no licence, free slipway, free parking, toilets, showers free etc. Windermere: £5 a year licence (they call it registration) plus £5/£10 for launch/recover (depends on boat size). Coniston no licence, £8 day launch/recover. River Ribble, no licence, various slipways, some free, some paid, Lytham has free slipway and pay and display car park or free on road parking.

Lots of competition here in The North West and I've not used the canal for a couple of years now due to cost/competition.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

I wonder how a person becomes involved with the consultation process for say, for example, setting licence fees. I am quite passionate about 'starter' boats been given access at low cost to the canals as I believe this is how people become 'hooked' and go on to buy and run their own boat and become customers.

Join NABO - the National Association of Boat Owners - to keep in touch with what consultations are live, or at least keep an eye on the website to see what's happening. You've just missed an opportunity to respond to a BW licence consultation.