PMR radios

Featured Posts

I'm afraid I have no idea what the heck you are on about,

CTSS, squelch, selective calling, what the effin hell is all that?

If I'm steering and Jans down below can I summon a cup of tea?

yeah/nah?

If I'm lock wheeling and Jan's steering can I give her an instruction to enter/leave a lock?

yeah/nah?,

But hang on at £30 I'll take a risk.....

We have used them for years and I am sure they will be just what you need.

Phil

Cheers every body - my Binatone radios came a few days ago - and have now had a chance of a little play.

After reading the manual I now get the channel and sub-channel thing.

Final test due in a few weeks whilst out on the cut around Leicestershire, and parts of the BCN.

Cheers every body - my Binatone radios came a few days ago - and have now had a chance of a little play.

After reading the manual I now get the channel and sub-channel thing.

Final test due in a few weeks whilst out on the cut around Leicestershire, and parts of the BCN.

I've been inspired to recharge all mine this last few days!! All three of my elderley (got them when 446 started) Binatones still work great, but one of my Oregans (much smaller an newer) needs some new batteries as they won't charge so I'll have to get some (they are only AAAs).

Now back on 446 again channel 8,0 !!

Any body got or used These PMR radios

Hi all.

Using a pair of 446mhz radios is ideal, for skipper to crew communications. However, if you want them to work over a greater distance than you can see, you will need to be aware of their limitations.

UHF (ultra high frequency) by its nature is limited to line of sight communications. Generally if you can see it, you can talk to it. However, the effectiveness of UHF can be reduced by the surrounding terrain. Out in the countryside expect to go a mile or two. From hill-top to hill-top it can be several tens of miles. However, in built-up area's, such as towns etc. Their range will be limited to maybe half a mile or less. This is due to the radio having a very low power output, intended to help restrict the communications distance to line of sight. Surrounding hills and buildings will absorb or block the signal.

Due to a phenomenon called the Faraday Cage effect. (Your boats metal hull and cabin will form a partial Faraday Cage) Faraday cages to a large degree shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation. A Faraday Cage will also will trap the signal inside the boat so that very little gets outside. So it is best to use or position your radio on the outside of the boat. As 446 MHz radios are not designed for use with an external antenna you might need a more novel solution.

Me and Mags use a pair of Midland 445 Bluetooth enabled radios for Motorcycle to Motorcycle communications. (http://www.alan-uk.com/midland/products_bluetooth_pmr446_radio.shtml) However, when on the boat I can leave one radio on deck and communicate using a Bluetooth ear piece. Now, there is also an additional bonus, if I should take an un-planned dip in the canal.... I am unlikely to ruin the radio by dunking it, as it will not be in my hand or pocket.

For anyone using a normal 446 radio. Get yourself one of those self seal plastic food bags to keep the radio in. Keeps the weather out and will keep it dry and the air trapped inside will keep it afloat if you drop it overboard. The radio can still be operated whilst in the bag.

Apart from listening to a specific channel, if everyone just listens, how will we know who is there?

Two solutions, announce yourself as listening on channel from time to time (use your boat name for ID) The other could be to agree to have a have a badge in a window next to your BW licence or maybe a small coloured pennant (say in white which would be easy to cut from some spare material) flying on your boat. Then we might recognise each other on sight.

regards

Mick & Mags Nb Wits-End

Edited by Mick and Maggie

Now £29.99 in Maplins

There was a link to these earlier in the thread but what you have to remember P&P with Amazon and is included so there was only few pence in it - I'm already registered with Amazon so it wasn't worth buying from Maplins in the end as I was just a couple of mouse clicks away with Amazon.

But thanks anyway.

There was a link to these earlier in the thread but what you have to remember P&P with Amazon and is included so there was only few pence in it - I'm already registered with Amazon so it wasn't worth buying from Maplins in the end as I was just a couple of mouse clicks away with Amazon.

But thanks anyway.

No problem - - - but there are now many retailers (on-line) with who you get an additional rebate too . . .

I use Quidco - - (Maplins give an extra 6% rebate)

No problem - - - but there are now many retailers (on-line) with who you get an additional rebate too . . .

I use Quidco - - (Maplins give an extra 6% rebate)

Cheers I'll have a skeggy...