Kelvin K3 available

Featured Posts

I have been contacted by a boater who wants to sell his Kelvin K3. The engine was overhauled by Phil Trotter at R W Davis and purchased for 9,000 GBP. It was installed in a new narrow boat but only used for three or four months when it was replaced with a brand new Russell Newbery DM3. The K3 is in very good condition and has seen very little use since its overhaul. The engine is currently located in South Wales.

Apparently the reason for the change of engine was that the boater concerned found the K3 too heavy and powerful to operate - he accepts that he may not be able to sell it for anything like the sum he paid for it and is willing to accept serious offers.

If anyone is seriously interested, please PM me and I will forward details on to the vendor.

I haven't put this in the 'for sale and wanted' section because I am not the vendor - nevertheless I am willing to pass on details.

I have been contacted by a boater who wants to sell his Kelvin K3. The engine was overhauled by Phil Trotter at R W Davis and purchased for 9,000 GBP. It was installed in a new narrow boat but only used for three or four months when it was replaced with a brand new Russell Newbery DM3. The K3 is in very good condition and has seen very little use since its overhaul. The engine is currently located in South Wales.

Apparently the reason for the change of engine was that the boater concerned found the K3 too heavy and powerful to operate - he accepts that he may not be able to sell it for anything like the sum he paid for it and is willing to accept serious offers.

If anyone is seriously interested, please PM me and I will forward details on to the vendor.

I haven't put this in the 'for sale and wanted' section because I am not the vendor - nevertheless I am willing to pass on details.

Obviously not suitable for many of us Graham, but I guess I'm surprised that a professionally rebuilt unit is no more than £9K.

Out of interest, is that about the going rate ?

I assume the DM3, depending on it's "newness" will be more, (RNs always seem ridiclous prices to me), so it sounds a bit of an expensive route for that boater to have gone down.

It doesn't sound a bad deal if someone wants, for example, a large lump for a barge of some kind.

Obviously not suitable for many of us Graham, but I guess I'm surprised that a professionally rebuilt unit is no more than £9K.

Out of interest, is that about the going rate ?

I believe it is - the nice thing about old Kelvin's is that they are very easy to work on and it may not always be necessary to spend a fortune having new parts made.

I assume the DM3, depending on it's "newness" will be more, (RNs always seem ridiclous prices to me), so it sounds a bit of an expensive route for that boater to have gone down.

These things are all relative - I guess if I was willing to spend £150,000 having a new boat built to a very high specification, £27,000 for a new DM3 (Yes that is the ball park figure that they sell for complete with all ancillaries) is not that much in percentage terms.

It doesn't sound a bad deal if someone wants, for example, a large lump for a barge of some kind.

What to carry as cargo? :lol: As I have testified before, the Kelvin K3 is nicely suited as an engine for a narrow boat - even the engine designer thought so and our boat was designed and built for one.

I believe it is - the nice thing about old Kelvin's is that they are very easy to work on and it may not always be necessary to spend a fortune having new parts made.

These things are all relative - I guess if I was willing to spend £150,000 having a new boat built to a very high specification, £27,000 for a new DM3 (Yes that is the ball park figure that they sell for complete with all ancillaries) is not that much in percentage terms.

What to carry as cargo? :lol: As I have testified before, the Kelvin K3 is nicely suited as an engine for a narrow boat - even the engine designer thought so and our boat was designed and built for one.

couldn't you convert Alnwick to twin screw? :lol:

Twin K3's would sound lovely ticking over :lol:

It was installed in a new narrow boat but only used for three or four months when it was replaced with a brand new Russell Newbery DM3.

Are you sure it's a 3 cylinder? Why would anyone want a DM3 when a DM2 would happily propel a GUCCC motor and butty pair with a design paylod of 72 tons? The 'two' would sound much nicer too....

Didn't realise the three cylinder was even in production currently?

Are you sure it's a 3 cylinder? Why would anyone want a DM3 when a DM2 would happily propel a GUCCC motor and butty pair with a design paylod of 72 tons? The 'two' would sound much nicer too....

Didn't realise the three cylinder was even in production currently?

At least one Narrow Boat was fitted with a three, it may have been after its 'real' working days had finished. Nice and smooth and quiet - at least the older 'threes' were, I think the later engines are a bit noisier, fuel injection more advanced etc so more knock. The Short Boat 'Sylvia' had a three, we used to start it up to pump the bilges & it got 'forgotten' once or twice & left running for a couple of days, because it was so inconspicuous!

I agree, overkill for a pleasure narrowboat. I think RN got tooled up last year for making a couple of threes, in response to a specific order (maybe this one).

The K3 is a seriously large engine, whatever Graham says about its suitability, I checked the dimensions a while ago & seem to recall it takes up almost as much space as my R6 :lol:

Tim