BW Moorings Auctions

wrigglefingers

Featured Posts

Okay,

I'm a bit lost here so help please ...

I need to find a permanent mooring for Cobbett, the mooring I've been planning to use isn't really suitable for her long term, so I've started to cast around for one, strangely, several have come up on the BW mooring site which I quite like and so I'd like to make a bid.

The only problem (apart from the iniquity of it all) is that according to the tender PDF which I've just slogged through I need to prove that Cobbett is BSC'd and licenced. The trouble is she's not even afloat yet and won't be until mid-March when she goes up to Gailey to be blasted; and even then she'll go on the builder's trade plates. She's not due to be RCD/CE marked until late April, early May. What happens here? Moorings are not so plentiful that I don't think I can't let these possibles go by. I've emailed BW but I suspect somebody here knows and will respond faster!

Thanks, Jill x

Give the person listed in the mooring details a call and explain the situation. We are in a similar situation and I think I read in the terms that if your boat isn't finished they will give you a temporary licence no to put against the mooring, and then issue a proper one when the time comes, if that makes sense. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm puzzled Jill.

I feel sure there have been many instances reported of people winning a BW mooring on tender, or more latterly auction, in anticipation of a boat they don't yet have.

In some cases they have yet to even find the boat of their dreams, so can't possibly supply any of BW index number, boat name of RCD or BSS details. Thoughgt BW were happy to take payment for an as yet unoccupied mooring ?

This must arise regularly, but I'd try pestering by phone, as BW seems remarkably poor at getting emails dealt with by someone with the knowledge to respond reliably!

:lol:

Don't know about your chosen area, but many auctions seem currently going to single bids on or very near the reserve price. As BW seem to now be setting many reserves at only 75% of Guide, (the rate paid by established moorers not involved in tenders or auction), then some significant savings are being made. E.g. Full 70 foot mooring at Fenny Stratford likely to go today at a smidge over £1,500, where existing moorers pay over £2000

Don't know about your chosen area, but many auctions seem currently going to single bids on or very near the reserve price. As BW seem to now be setting many reserves at only 75% of Guide, (the rate paid by established moorers not involved in tenders or auction), then some significant savings are being made. E.g. Full 70 foot mooring at Fenny Stratford likely to go today at a smidge over £1,500, where existing moorers pay over £2000

Yes, Alan, that's my impression too. The more transparent bid process seems to be ruling out the sillier prices we saw at the start of this 'trial'. In fact I'm hearing towpath tales of existing moorers giving up their moorings and and then bidding again for the same space.

I'm going to try and ring BW, I rang yesterday about the exact location having already ascertained that given location of a mooring was wrong and was greeted by the words 'I don't see how I can help you if you can't find it.' The directions and map ref showed the visitor moorings nearly a mile away! Having driven nearly 60 miles and standing on a wind-blasted towpath in hammering snow, I'm afraid I was quite direct ......

Yes, Alan, that's my impression too. The more transparent bid process seems to be ruling out the sillier prices we saw at the start of this 'trial'. In fact I'm hearing towpath tales of existing moorers giving up their moorings and and then bidding again for the same space.

Yes, I have absolutely no doubt this is occurring.

I don't wish to scupper a current forum member's attempt to obtain a nice mooring at a cut price rate, but once that has run it's course there will be an interesting story to tell there as well.

If you win a mooring under tender or auction arrangements you are tied into the contract for first 6 months, then, (I think) you need to give 2 months further notice, effectively meaning you must pay a minimum 8 months before going elsewhere.

Once that restriction is past, I'd certainly bid on other moorings in my area if I felt I could save on the inflated price we are currently paying, Ours was "sealed bid" tender so we had to guess the level people might bid at, unfortunately.

It's been a complete bloody lottery, but I think going to an open auction system where you can see others bids, coupled with now advertising the reserve price, is starting to go in the boater's favour, and means BW could potentially have got more revenue under oldest arrangement.

Yes, I have absolutely no doubt this is occurring.

I don't wish to scupper a current forum member's attempt to obtain a nice mooring at a cut price rate, but once that has run it's course there will be an interesting story to tell there as well.

If you win a mooring under tender or auction arrangements you are tied into the contract for first 6 months, then, (I think) you need to give 2 months further notice, effectively meaning you must pay a minimum 8 months before going elsewhere.

Once that restriction is past, I'd certainly bid on other moorings in my area if I felt I could save on the inflated price we are currently paying, Ours was "sealed bid" tender so we had to guess the level people might bid at, unfortunately.

It's been a complete bloody lottery, but I think going to an open auction system where you can see others bids, coupled with now advertising the reserve price, is starting to go in the boater's favour, and means BW could potentially have got more revenue under oldest arrangement.

Right, I've answered my own question and know how to go about it, I shall have to pay for the time I'm not on the mooring, but that's okay. Wish me luck!

Not a problem.

I had exactly the same query. I emailed and got this reply:

Dear Sarah,

Many thanks for your email.

In these circumstances you will be processed in the same way as a customer who does not yet own a boat.

I can confirm that should you be the highest bidder your application would still be processed and you will be issued with a temporary mooring permit. Your mooring will be classed as a ‘reserve’ mooring. Once the work on your boat is completed and your licence application has gone through your full mooring permit will be sent to you and you will be able to move your boat to the mooring.

I bid on three BW moorings, was outbid on all of them, but it was a fairly simple process.

If you win and don't take it up, you have to pay 5% of your winning bid to get out of the deal, but that could be a worthwhile risk if you wanted to bid on more than one simultaneously.

One thing to be aware of is that once you've placed a bid, you can't increase it until you've been outbid.

Chertsey now has a mooring at Kings Bromley Wharf (NOT in the marina) on the T&M which I start paying for in April.

Edited by Chertsey

• 1 month later...
Not a problem.

I had exactly the same query. I emailed and got this reply:

Dear Sarah,

Many thanks for your email.

In these circumstances you will be processed in the same way as a customer who does not yet own a boat.

I can confirm that should you be the highest bidder your application would still be processed and you will be issued with a temporary mooring permit. Your mooring will be classed as a ‘reserve’ mooring. Once the work on your boat is completed and your licence application has gone through your full mooring permit will be sent to you and you will be able to move your boat to the mooring.

I bid on three BW moorings, was outbid on all of them, but it was a fairly simple process.

If you win and don't take it up, you have to pay 5% of your winning bid to get out of the deal, but that could be a worthwhile risk if you wanted to bid on more than one simultaneously.

One thing to be aware of is that once you've placed a bid, you can't increase it until you've been outbid.

Chertsey now has a mooring at Kings Bromley Wharf (NOT in the marina) on the T&M which I start paying for in April.

Thanks everybody for clearing this one up - I too got a bit jittery when I read the requirements (searched the forum un unearthed this post) and wondered how on earth the concept fitted with securing a mooring before you buy a boat - Sarah's letter from BW explains it particularly well.

Going by the email alerts I'n getting still not many coming up on the northern part of the system though and those that do seem to be for boats shorter than our intended 55-57ft. :lol: