Posh hireboat?

richardf

Featured Posts

There is also the question of whether the turnround is done properly. If you are turning the boat round, and know that the crew will be on board and off as soon as you are done, it adds pressure to complete the turnround quickly rather than properly.

Fair point - but both times we have hired with Ashby they have checked with us in advance an ETA (both times around 12-12.30) and the boat has been ready to go as soon as we have arrived.

Not sure they do this though in the busy summer months on busy Saturdays!!

we are going with Valley Cruisers in September, first time for us, they seem very strict re the time we can pick up the boat and how we can bring the boat into the boatyard,

Julie

They have always stipulated that hirers return the boat to the wharf outside the marina, then a member of staff brings it in. This is because the boats live inside the marina, rather than bankside, and the entrance can be tricky, especially with longer boats and of course with inexperienced crews. I appreciate that you are far from "inexperienced", but in many cases this rule saves boaters' blushes and painters' overtime! They are lovely boats by the way, and if by any chance they go wrong VC's fitter is one of the best on the waterways (that's Kevin, if he is still there).

That would be irritating.

However, looked at from the other side, what do you do if the new crews for all your boats arrive at 11:00, and you release the first boat at 11:30, and find that the crew of the last boat to be ready at 14:15 are annoyed that they had to wait longest.

There is also the question of whether the turnround is done properly. If you are turning the boat round, and know that the crew will be on board and off as soon as you are done, it adds pressure to complete the turnround quickly rather than properly.

It is difficult and I can see both sides of the argument.

If the boat is not on a turnaround then we will generally contact the incoming guests and advise they can show up early.

On the flipside, we have guests asking 'is it ok if I arrive at 12' to which we say 'no the boat will be ready for 3 so there isn't any benefit'

Guess what...........some still show up at 12 and peer through the windows and drum knuckles as we prepare the boat.

We will not compromise our quality and whilst sometimes the boat will come back beautifully cleaned and able to go out a little earlier, we still have checks to do, crockery to replace, beds to strip and re-make and the boats to wash.

For us there is also the benefit that when 2 boats leave together they can share the 'training' locks and thus save water.

We never had a problem picking up boats as and when we wanted from Barnes Brinkcraft on the Broads. As we had used them so often they just told us to turn up any time after 11am and they would ensure our boat was ready for us. We never did a proper handover (easier as there are no locks) and just signed a form to say we where happy with the condition of the boat and that it was clean and tidy, took the keys and headed off. Of course the boat was almost always buried in the middle of the marina, which is tight to say the least :lol:

• 1 month later...
A friend of mine who is, to say the least, not short of a few bob, has asked me for a recommendation for a hireboat holiday. Having seen some of the sorry state of some of the hire boats that come past us, I just know that he would be disappointed. Does anyone know of a company that either has a one off boat or a fleet of boats that are nicer than the average? Would be pleased to hear any suggestions. Thanks

Beacon Park Boats on the Mon and Brec are real five star craft. Some narrow, some semi wide.

They even have one with a hot tub on the foredeck!!

Mon and Brec is a five star canal also.

• 3 weeks later...
A friend of mine who is, to say the least, not short of a few bob, has asked me for a recommendation for a hireboat holiday. Having seen some of the sorry state of some of the hire boats that come past us, I just know that he would be disappointed. Does anyone know of a company that either has a one off boat or a fleet of boats that are nicer than the average? Would be pleased to hear any suggestions. Thanks

A "posh boat" You mean a boat that Mr Cameron & his "Tory" types would be happy to take for a weeks holiday.

That would be Valley Cruises near Coventry.