SPEED CAMERA

denboy

Featured Posts

What you get 3 points and £60 fine for going over 4mph on a canal these days?! Kill your wash! :)

I remember on my very first boating holiday back in the 60's, I got "pulled" for exceeding the (then) 7mph speed limit on the River Bure entering Horning. I could have been prosecuted (No instant tickets in those days) and fined about £100 (I think). The Comissioner's Officer settled for giving me severe ticking off. They were using a radar gun of some sort even then!

Tony :)

Yeah, its suppresing how serously some places take the speel limit.

- i go sailing in salcombe estary every summer, and the (4knot) speed limit is very carefully policed, with the use of radar guns and heavy fines.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, its suppresing how serously some places take the speel limit.

- i go sailing in salcombe estary every summer, and the (4knot) speed limit is very carefully policed, with the use of radar guns and heavy fines.

Daniel

this 4mph is no problem,what is is a problem to me is the permanent moorers that never move the boat but place notices all around the place "slow down moored boats".

i always put the engine on tickover and still they seem to jump up from their seats and peer out of the curtians and pull pathetic faces as if the empress of canada was sending bow waves at them.

i swear the worst of the ones who create about boats passing them are permantly fixed to the offside of the canal and they should think about getting themselves a house on dry ground.

also where possible they seem to find these permanent mooring next to a bridge on a blind bend that has huge 10 ft reed beds to further hide them from veiw until you are right on top of them,all the better if they can also be under the hanging branches of a weeping willow.

huge three foot square peices of hardboard with badly written slow down warnings are then haphazardly hung from bridges that are some hundreds of years old,the same people are totally oblivious to the wanton damage-vandalism that they carry out on the structures.

pillocks

this 4mph is no problem,what is is a problem to me is the permanent moorers that never move the boat but place notices all around the place "slow down moored boats".

i always put the engine on tickover and still they seem to jump up from their seats and peer out of the curtians and pull pathetic faces as if the empress of canada was sending bow waves at them.

i swear the worst of the ones who create about boats passing them are permantly fixed to the offside of the canal and they should think about getting themselves a house on dry ground.

also where possible they seem to find these permanent mooring next to a bridge on a blind bend that has huge 10 ft reed beds to further hide them from veiw until you are right on top of them,all the better if they can also be under the hanging branches of a weeping willow.

huge three foot square peices of hardboard with badly written slow down warnings are then haphazardly hung from bridges that are some hundreds of years old,the same people are totally oblivious to the wanton damage-vandalism that they carry out on the structures.

pillocks

And relax...........................

:wacko:

I know what he means tho, the notices are a bit boring and repetive, to the extent that no one every pays them any attention anyway.

If i ever have a mooring like that, i think i'll put up somthing like

"As long as you you miss me, that'll do!"

- And then moor the boat properly.

Daniel

i took the boat to a busy water point and moored just up from the said water point knowing that i would have boats coming from both directions,also about the same distance from a junction that has boats turning round and going striaght past and away.

i done this in order i can learn from experience what the effect passing boats have on my moored boat and i have to say it is only noticable to any extent if i undoe my ropes and leave several feet of slack on one front or back rope.

i just can not understand why they keep the boat if they never move it or use it,if they want to be static go to wales and buy a caravan,i mean a boat is a floating obstacle and is subject to movement.

at one time they must have gone out boating and enjoyed the pleasures of the canals so what has happened to them?

Ski boat went from Boston to Lincon and back at 40mph earlier in the year. The return run, at 3am in the morning they didn't slow down for moored boats. One chap fell out of his bunk, as a cup fell off and smashed. Apparently part of the journey was repeated just before liftout (November)

You have WAY to much free time! :wacko:

...can i have some?

all my time is free dan but it still aint enough time,take this advice do it know if you can because later is to late.

i done the mooring to try and understand others point of veiw and to know if their veiw was valid.

After suffering a catastrophic engine malfunction in the summer, I have now got an eight horsepower engine on my 25 foot Dawncraft and so can now only travel at 3.5mph maximum.

The Dawncraft actually produces NO wash whatsoever at this speed, and in fact I used to be able to acheive 3.7mph with NO wash, and 4mph with negligable wash when I had the 20hp fitted. (GPS checked)

I put this down to good hull shape and lack of draft.

It does mean it now takes longer to get anywhere, and the handling is a bit ropey, specially when it is windy, and I have virtually no reverse, just lots of splashing, so blind bridges are interesting, but generally, things are a lot more relaxed, and I dont have to worry about slowing down for anyone or speeding.

Apart from the occasional Freeman coming up my **** from behind, I have no canal rage issues, and never get 'stuck' behind a narrow boat, and I still get 6mpg as I did with the 20hp, so apart from extra noise, all is well (the revs are a lot higher!!).

It is also a bit tricky on the tidal rivers, but it's just a case of stopping more often and timing the tide just right. It seems to do about 4.5mph on slack deep water.

Traditional narrow boats seem to produce much less wash than their new counterparts, so perhaps we have much yet to learn from their design.

Anyway, the point of my post: Is there not some kind of speed thingy just before Llangollen that's been there for years? I know they've now got speed cameras on Windermere to enforce their new speed limit.

Modern Narrow Boats seem to be more designed for interior requirements than hull shape, whereby really it should be the hull shape design first to minimise wash etc, with the interior being fitted around it. This is how boats were always designed; a boat first, then somewhere to stay, whereas now, it would seem the accomodation comes first, and navigation second. Try looking in the average sailing cruiser.

Just as a point of interest, my boat has a YSE12 Yanmar, and pushes the hull to it's maximum of 6 to 6 1/2mph. I have a new 3.5 Tohatsu outboard, I bought for backup, should I want to take the odd foray into the Wash (managed one this year) This pushes the boat at around 4.5 mph (checked with friends GPS, since I lost mine) I know Dawncraft are slow, since I've recently spent 3 days on one Trip to Foxton Locks but with an 8hp I'm surprised you can't cruise at 5 to 6mph.

Just as a point of interest, my boat has a YSE12 Yanmar, and pushes the hull to it's maximum of 6 to 6 1/2mph. I have a new 3.5 Tohatsu outboard, I bought for backup, should I want to take the odd foray into the Wash (managed one this year) This pushes the boat at around 4.5 mph (checked with friends GPS, since I lost mine) I know Dawncraft are slow, since I've recently spent 3 days on one Trip to Foxton Locks but with an 8hp I'm surprised you can't cruise at 5 to 6mph.

I've actually had four seperate engines on the Dawcraft at different times, a Honda 10HP four stroke which performed very similarly to the Evinrude 8hp two stroke, ie 3.5mph maximum.

A 15hp Honda four stroke which would push the boat over 4mph but never tried maximum as never went off the canal. Much better for manouverability than the 10, and cruised at 3.7mph at reasonable revs.

The 20hp Mariner 2 stroke (a Mercury really). The best of all, good turn of speed on the river, 8mph, very responsive, chugging slowly and very underworked on the canal, with power to stop etc when needed. Unfortunately decided to go bang after 10 years of completely unflinching service this last summer.

So I'm left with the 8hp Evinrude.

Previously I've had various boats:

Yeoman 16:

20hp Mariner - gave about 25/30mph on the River, VERY responsive on the canal, not good for wash, but still better than most narrow boats, even at 4mph. More like a speed boat.

8hp Evinrude - Fine, running quite slow revs at 4mph.

10hp Honda (sold with boat) ideal for the canal, more power than really needed, running slow revs at 4mph.

Norman 20:

20hp Mariner - The best boat / engine combination I ever had, gave 12mph on open water, but still fine at 4mph, took us everywhere, up the Trent from Keadby right to the Erewash junction, up to Lincoln, and some of The Chesterfield canal, The Leeds Liverpool, Aire and Calder, some of The Calder & Hebble, Bridgewater, Trent and Mersey, Shropshire Union to Wolverhampton, Llangollen, and of course the Lanky, never missed a beat until last summer on current boat, still returned 10mpg on the canal and 12mpg at speed.

6hp Evinrude 2 stroke. - Flat out 5mph, fine at 4mph. Much better than the 8 on the 25 Dawncraft, that 5 foot makes such a difference.

Fame Concorde 15:

25hp Johnson - bit like the Yeoman with the 20hp Mariner, but even faster on the river!!

6hp Evinrude - Ideal on the canal, 4mph with much to spare.

4hp Mercury - OK even against quite strong tides Very light boat but didn't have a GPS then so don't know exact speeds!!

Denmar 15:

20hp Johnson - Only used on Windermere, very quick.

So the size of the boat (and what you put in it!! has a very marked effect. The Dawncraft is best of the lot for wash.

I have to say, even with my limited experience, I have now driven (steered etc.) quite a few different types and combinations of boats........but the best STILL has to be my 18 Norman with the 9.9 Mariner 4 stroke. Pushed it to it's river speed, non planing speed yet had the power to keep it despite headwind etc. Quite happy pottering past the residentials at 3mph with no wash. A 40/60hp would of course given the increase to plane.

The best handling, most maneuverable and versitile boat I've been on.

Despite twin engined boats etc. the fastest is a 16ft Microplus with a 25hp 2stroke Yamaha. Not enough to plane but 12.5 (with the gps)

Edited by Supermalc

I have to say, even with my limited experience, I have now driven (steered etc.) quite a few different types and combinations of boats........but the best STILL has to be my 18 Norman with the 9.9 Mariner 4 stroke. Pushed it to it's river speed, non planing speed yet had the power to keep it despite headwind etc. Quite happy pottering past the residentials at 3mph with no wash. A 40/60hp would of course given the increase to plane.

The best handling, most maneuverable and versitile boat I've been on.

Despite twin engined boats etc. the fastest is a 16ft Microplus with a 25hp 2stroke Yamaha. Not enough to plane but 12.5 (with the gps)

Take EVERYTHING out of the boat, cushions, anchors, tins of food, absolutely everything not function for navigation or safety related, you'll find it rises a good inch or two in the water, then take her out on unrestricted water on your own. With the 25 on you should get her to plane.

I can just imagen the responce you'd get planning down a busy streght of the llanagollen on a bank holiday weekend. :)

LOL, but surely the wash created would only be similar to that created on The Llangollen anyway with the speed that most of the hire boats seem to go up that stretch !! :wacko::)

I was thinking more of The River Douglas or Ribble.