Help Needed

Captain Nitromors

Featured Posts

Tried to take my boat out this morning with 3 large irishmen who were intrested in being on a boat on the canal, but i think i have done some damage to the outboard 2 stroke engine on leaving the marina in reverse there was some smoke coming from the engine and then it would not carry on in reverse, this has never happened before to me and the engine usually runs fine. I think there has been an overload issue here as i have never taken more than 2 people out but these guys were big and i should have really known better really. My boat is a dawncraft 22 with a yamaha 8 2 stroke, have i done some permenant damage to my engine as i think it goes forward ok but reverse is a load rev and nothing happens.

Tried to take my boat out this morning with 3 large irishmen who were intrested in being on a boat on the canal, but i think i have done some damage to the outboard 2 stroke engine on leaving the marina in reverse there was some smoke coming from the engine and then it would not carry on in reverse, this has never happened before to me and the engine usually runs fine. I think there has been an overload issue here as i have never taken more than 2 people out but these guys were big and i should have really known better really. My boat is a dawncraft 22 with a yamaha 8 2 stroke, have i done some permenant damage to my engine as i think it goes forward ok but reverse is a load rev and nothing happens.

Try here, they might know more about weight on a dawncraft, shouldn't have thought it would overload but you never know

http://dawncraftowners.com/phpBB3/index.ph...5792de816a851c2

The weight is not an issue, I have on more than one occasion strapped my 12ft dinghy with a 4HP outboard to the side of 24ft boats and "tugged" them along the river when they have broken down. I should check that your linkage to gears is all correct, it's possible the cable may have slipped. I never worry about a bit of smoke from a 2t outboard, it's quite common if an engine has been standing for a while or you have over done the oil mix.

Phil