Are times a changing?

Gary Peacock

Featured Posts

My new project was built in the 1970's, looks nothing like a traditional narrowboat in any sense and never would no matter how many roses and castles were painted on it. In fact looks like a 1970's idea of a narrowboat. I'm thinking of painting it Farrari red with a Starsky and Hutch style white stripe along the side and over the roof and calling it "Tomato". :);)

Thinks :P:):D:D

Actually thats not such a bad idea!

:)

Nothing wrong with red boats got two more to paint bright red next week and took an order to day for a black and yellow one. (Still no roses & castles though just a bit of lining and panel work)

I like post office red boats they are becoming quite popular these days.

I'm a bit cynical when it comes to the 'real ale' thing even though my local pub is one of of those where CAMRA have regular meetings. I am old enough to remember when all the ale was 'real' much of it was pretty disgusting. I have seen landlords following a complaint of a cloudy pint, hold the suspect brew close up to a 100 watt light bulb, if a few photons made it through giving a dull glow he would hand it back saying something like "get it down you, there's nowt wrong with that".

I knew many pubs were you had to leave the last half an inch of sediment in the bottom of your pint, dire reports were circulated on the consequences to your gastric system of neglecting to do so.

For years, my father worked several evenings a weekat the local pub as a barman, he also brewed his own ale, the proper way with hops and yeast. It used to stink the house out, but the beer was not cloudy, because he let it stand and then drew it off before pouring it, to ensure that there was no sediment (well very little). What I suspect you are remembering was Mild which apart from being a prettyy rough beer to start off with, had all the dregs poured into it, which caused the sediments to continuously rise in the barrel. Dave the landlord at the pub would not allow the dregs to be poured back because it made the beer cloudy. The trick of holding the glass to the light was to let the barman know that the barrel needed changing.

I remember one particularly rough pub in Oldham, the landlord had the endearing technique of emptying the waiters trays (yes we had waiters in those days) into the mild drip trays it was not uncommon to see fag-ends floating about everybody smoked then. The beer was not thrown away the bar staff would 'dip' your glass if you weren't looking so you got half a pint of slops topped up with a half out of the pump.

The pub was ironically called 'The Friendship' in the 60's there would be a sing-along type pianist downstairs and a rock group upstairs. Two simultaneous fights broke out one night and as the couple of dozen offenders were being hustled out they were joined by an equal number of louts pouring down the stairs, ending in a massive brawl in the street.

Those were the days.

Anhar - I've scoured the thread for the 'style nazis' you refer to. It seems to me you have not read what people have written at all.

There is, on the contrary, an urging for everyone to find their own style, rather than conform to a standard. Good for you if you like an Ikea-style interior. Good for Clevett for reanimating an old tradition. Good for the Rosie & Jim afficionados - and good for us, for celebrating difference!

I agree Carrie. Each to his own. I had read the thread but my tongue was so far in my cheek when I wrote the message that one side of my face resembled a large balloon. I was using hyperbole to make a point and should perhaps have added one of these :P earlier to make that clear.

regards

Steve

I agree Carrie. Each to his own. I had read the thread but my tongue was so far in my cheek when I wrote the message that one side of my face resembled a large balloon. I was using hyperbole to make a point and should perhaps have added one of these :P earlier to make that clear.

regards

Steve

Sorry Steve :) I should have realised. Think it must be the paint fumes (I'm repainting my house to sell, to buy a boat!) confusing my sense of humour :)

I'm definitely going with the Ikea look to try and flog it!!!

On a similar line of thought I noticed that only 3 boats we built in two years were intended for recreational pleasure use the rest were for residential use.

Does this mean that new boats are becoming so highly priced that they are now only becoming affordable by those prepared to make the commitment to sell the house and reinvest some if not all of the proceeds in a boat instead.

Will the new recreational pleasure boat become rich boys or girls toys in the future and out of the price range of most?

The most common customers in this industry are retirees and divorcees! I suppose that could exsplain a lot of trends. :P

i won't pretend I have read all the threads, coz I aint. However, as a newbit to doing my own boat I do wonder what I can do to do my boat out in a traditional style. As working boats are well gone, and even the museums don't show much for tradition, its tough to work out what to do. I am stripping my own boat and doing it out as a 'home'. This 'home' as I call it won't be based on a land property, and indeed i have no desire to replicate the landowners glory on the river. I want somewhere practical, useful and that which conserves energy without freezing my bones to a state of death (I am happy to shiver, but I DO object to my freezing hair). It strikes me that 'tradition' isn't just about the way we do our boats out, but to do with our way of life. I went to Dapdune wharf recently and even then I had no hints as to how to maintain tradition. Indeed, part of me thinks I should do my boat out as I can with the tools available (and I am often accused of living like a cave man and how do I cope - even my neighbours don't think I live aboard!!!). and tradition is simply about the lifestyle. How one kits out ones boat doesn't mean we are traditional?

What do you all think? It seems many think the old traditions are dying. I love roses and castles, skeletons and caracesses, I can paint the latter, but not the former - that means I have to pay someone for the former and I just don't have the money.