Leeds office worker in icy canal rescue drama

Robbo

Featured Posts

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news...-icy.5966087.jp

AN office worker has been hailed a hero after pulling a man from freezing waters in Leeds city centre.

Sara Larnyoh, 26, was outside her office near the City Inn hotel when she heard shouts after the man fell into the frozen canal.

She called for help and managed to grab the man's hand, despite the slippery conditions on the banks of the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

She held on to him for several minutes until Paul Adamson, a cleaner at the hotel, appeared and together they hauled the freezing victim out of the icy water.

Sara, an office administrator of Bramley, Leeds, said: "The paramedics arrived really quickly and to be honest, I was in shock.

"The man was absolutely terrified, he was shouting and his eyes were like big dishpans. He was probably in his late 50s and spoke with an accent, maybe Italian or Turkish.

"I didn't see him fall in so I don't know what happened. There was a thin layer of ice covering the water so I don't know if he'd put his foot on it and gone through, or if he'd just slipped on the bank.

"After we pulled him out, we carried him inside and then the ambulance came.

"My hands and fingertips were frozen because they'd been in the water for so long. It was the most dramatic thing that's ever happened to me."

The man was taken to Leeds General Infirmary by ambulance after the incident on Wednesday.

Sara, who has worked at investment management firm Rensburg Sheppards for two-and-a-half years, was presented with a bunch of flowers for her heroic efforts – but said she was "mortified" by the attention from her colleagues.

She said: "After the ambulance had left, they were all asking me questions and everyone was looking at me. I burst into tears because I'm not used to so much attention. But I've calmed down now and everyone said they were really proud.

"I'm just pleased I could help."