240v rcd tripping

Featured Posts

Hi there

A 240v question. I've got a ring main with 4 sockets. 240v gets into the boat via a consumer unit into a Sterling ProCombi S, then out of the combi into another consumer unit that protects the sockets (Both consumer units are of the garage type as sold by Screwfix). It's the RCD in the second consumer unit (so the one after the Sterling ProCombi) that keeps tripping whenever a load (even a small bulb) is put into any of the sockets. However, when a tester is put into the sockets, it shows everything is fine and nothing happens. Any suggestion as to where the problem might be?

Thanks for your help.

Marc

Hi there

A 240v question. I've got a ring main with 4 sockets. 240v gets into the boat via a consumer unit into a Sterling ProCombi S, then out of the combi into another consumer unit that protects the sockets (Both consumer units are of the garage type as sold by Screwfix). It's the RCD in the second consumer unit (so the one after the Sterling ProCombi) that keeps tripping whenever a load (even a small bulb) is put into any of the sockets. However, when a tester is put into the sockets, it shows everything is fine and nothing happens. Any suggestion as to where the problem might be?

I would put money on the fact that somewhere between the consumer unit and the sockets you will have a neutral and earth reversed or linked

Most testers do not show neutral to earth reverse and do not draw enough load to trip an RCD.

The link is easy to test with a multimeter the reverse you will need to go through every socket and every connection and visually check them.

Edited by idleness

I would put money on the fact that somewhere between the consumer unit and the sockets you will have a neutral and earth reversed or linked

Most testers do not show neutral to earth reverse and do not draw enough load to trip an RCD.

The link is easy to test with a multimeter the reverse you will need to go through every socket and every connection and visually check them.

I'll drink to that as well, probably earth or neutral dropped out of the socket terminal with the vibration.