Hello, I'm new to boating

iklejen

Featured Posts

Greetings!

Thought you may have had enough of the careful, negative approach to your situation..I sure am!

We come this way only once, just do it!

Oh and there is an inlet with a little bridge almost opposite ss gb that is residential

Winter moorings are not much more than BW ones and you actually get water and electric for your money

Depending what work you do it is perfectly possible to CC and work- I did it for a year before I went part time

If you buy a boat through Channel yacht sales they will let you stay there until you get a mooring

and finally....I`m pretty sure you have to have a boat to apply for permanent mooring in the harbour, and say its for residential use-they turn a blind eye to people living in the docks but there are silly little rules like not putting your washing out :lol:

Good luck with it all-you can pm me if you need any help as I lived in the harbour, on the river and on the canal whilst working in Bristol!

Sally

Thanks Sally

I will no doubt pick your brains. I think i may have found a boat for a month trial, got to talk to the present owner in the new year and go and have a look at it.

I'm getting alot of positive feedback from people saying 'go for it, you'll never look back'... and the pragmatic stuff is useful too. i'm jsut really grateful to

everyone for respoding, its been a great help. I feel like part of the boating community already

:lol:

I'm in the States and have never been on your canals. From YouTube, etc, it looks like you spend a lot of your barging time bumping into each other. "Yachting" in Florida, etc doesn't go in for that very much. Because it's so tight in your canals, do you do that?

Welcome to the forum.

Collisions are avoided at all cost but it does happen.

We go boating not barging :lol:

Thanks for the welcome. I really enjoy reading and seeing your community on line. I like the fotos and issues too. Thanks again.

In Florida they run over manatees causing great harm. We don't.

Welcome to the forum. Come and spend a week on a narrow boat and understand the life!

You are right about the manatees. I've been around a lot of them and almost all of the survivors have bad propeller cuts.

And I would love to spend time on your canals. But I am just finishing-up construction of one of Nick Branson's "Thomas 50's here in the States and won't be able to get it over there.

(Of course he's one of your (English) best designers. He has been very good to us.)