K&A Holiday

welshmike

Featured Posts

East is easy, The Barge at Honey Street is worth stopping at (a few hours from the yard) next day a few hours to Wooten Rivers (nice pub in the village) then a few locks to the bruce tunnel then down the other side to croften to see the Beam engines then onto Great Bedwyn and the Cross Keys (owned by boaters) if you are feeling energetic on to Hungerford (plenty of pubs) turn around and a very full long day will get you back to Pewsey warfe (a bar and a pub the french Horn) which will leave you 4 lockless hours back to Devises.

West is more of a challenge due to the flight which will cost you at least a day of your holls but you can say you've actually done it.

Paul

And for two weeks - both I assume!

No, with a fortnight I would suggest west through Bath and down river to Hanham. For a week going west you would get to Bath and have to turn around with not a lot to show except motoring past long lines of moored boats. GSer suggests a nice little itinerary with a reasonable number of locks and bridges etc and nice overnight stops.

Many Thanks for the info. Is there any reason not to go to Bristol?

Non at all but doing so in a week is pushing it just a little. What's the point of passing through places like Bath if you've no time to appreciate the world heritage site? Going east is more rural and relaxing, less crowded too.

When are you making this trip?

I suppose I could decide by tossing a coin....

There's more to do if you go west. Pewsey and great bedwyn are pretty boring places all told.

You can stop at bradford on avon, avoncliff and bath, oh and that canal side pub around seend way.

Will you be starting at the top of the flight?

If I were you I'd work out where you expect to be each day of the holiday for both directions and go from there.

Edited by deletedaccount

Canalplan suggests 7 1/2 hours from Devizes marina to Seend wharf, for the Barge Inn.....a nice carrot to go for on the 1st day :-)

Six if you've crew enough to lock ahead or manage to pair up. Do try the 'real' village pub at Seend - Brewery Inn, five mins walk beyond the Barge.

West it is :lol:

You'd made your mind up before you asked hadn't you. :lol:

Much depends on when you pick the boat up. Ideally I'd say motor down to Devizes wharf and go ashore to do your shopping and take a look at the pretty if dull old town. Get down to the top of caen hill by the tea shop and wait to be amoung the first down in the morning. Walk down and take a good look at the damn thing, it's one of the wonders of the waterways. Down the flight and aim to overnight at the barge inn at seend. A good day will see you to Bradford on Avon and another good day to Bath.

"From Devizes marina on a week's holiday, which way is best - west or east?"

Are you physically strong, and really into working a boat hard? Or are you looking for a chilled out easy time? For the former go west, the latter go east.

"Much depends on when you pick the boat up. Ideally I'd say motor down to Devizes wharf and go ashore to do your shopping and take a look at the pretty if dull old town. Get down to the top of caen hill by the tea shop and wait to be amoung the first down in the morning. "

And there's me thinking of getting down the Hill on the 1st pm/eve.